Covering the pot - when is it ok (and not ok)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
Following is my understanding - if it is wrong, please let me know

This is for 1-gallon-batch brewing, if that matters ~

During the mash - OK

Bringing the wort to a boil - Not OK

During the boil - Not OK

After the boil during the chill-down - OK

Thanks in advance -

Ron

You've got it. I like to sanitize my lid before covering to cool just in case there's any grain dust from the mash. I don't want it falling in during cooling because of condensation.

I leave the cover off until the wort is down to 160-170 as those high temps are still resistant to contamination.

A covered kettle at 200 degrees will take a lot longer to cool, as well as DMS produced will condense back into the wort.

My theory is hot wort protects itself, wort below pasteurization temps may be at risk.

I cover my pot as I bring it to boil; it helps it heat up faster. Not during the boil. While I'm chilling I'm stirring w/ the chiller, but during that I'll put the lid on the pot to the extent I can. One thing I do not want to have is a fly decide to check out the sweet wort.

I use my kettle to treat my water the night before a brew day...that's the only time I use the lid. Except for when I'm playing Let's Pretend I'm Captain America. That lid makes an AWESOME shield.

Back