Couple Yeast Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BesteBrew

Reaction score
Hey Guys...

I am doing my first bigger beer OG of 1.074 so have some questions about my starter.

1) I made a 1.5L starter but Mr Malty suggests i use a 2L starter. If i were to decant all the liquid and add .5L of fresh wort would that get me to correct pitching rates or would the yeast not reproduce and just do there job?

2) Because of the hurricane I was not able to get my brew in so now i have a starter in the fridge until the weekend. Will 10 days in the fridge have any harmful effect on my pitching rates?

I would pull the starter out of the fridge and add another liter a couple days before brew day. It will up your pitching rate and get the yeast re-energized.

A gradual effect might be more beneficial than a vigorous first start of fermentation. There was a thread Revvy posted on that expressed how yeast can make a better assessment and thus having a better attenuation.

Latest posts

Back