Couple questions and a prediction request.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboBrew

Reaction score
First the recipe:

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: Wyeast German Ale (WY1007)
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Nope
Batch Size (Gallons): about 4.5 - supposed to be 5
Original Gravity: Supposed to be 1.054 according to Beer calculus - missed it at 1.042
Final Gravity: Don't know yet
IBU: 31.8
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 6 SRM
Primary Fermentation Temp: Sitting at 60F

6.6lbs Liquid Wheat Malt extract (1.65lbs added at beginning - 4.95lbs added last 10 min)
1lb Munich 10L (steeped at 155 for 20 min)
.25lb Caramel/crystal 40L (steeped at 155 for 20 min)

.75oz columbus 12.2% - 60 min boil
.5 oz cascade 5.5% - 10 min boil
.5 willamette 3.4 % - 10 min boil

First off, the color, IBU, and starting gravity were all given to me by beercalculus.

According to the scale at beercalculus, the beer should end up evenly balanced had I hit my SG. How much more perceivd hoppiness will there be by me missing my SG by .012? Why did I end up with such a low SG at only 4.5gal? Supposed to be a 5 gallon recipe.

Also I noticed that the sidebar at beercalculus gives slightly different taste guidlines than the chart that biermuncher uses.

3114d1193434691-centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-centennial_hops_ratio.jpg

Do they use different equations to find this information? Is one any more accurate than the other?

Sorry about the long post, but the more info the better.

According to the scale at beercalculus, the beer should end up evenly balanced had I hit my SG. How much more perceivd hoppiness will there be by me missing my SG by .012? Why did I end up with such a low SG at only 4.5gal? Supposed to be a 5 gallon recipe.
I have to assume you did a partial boil and it did not get mixed up well with the top off watter. Even if you only got 40% extract efficiency out of the Munich it would still be 1.050 at five gallons. It's really not possible to miss the OG that much with so much extract in the recipe. It looks like a good American wheat beer. I thinks it's got to be near 1.057 and about 30-35 IBU.

I have to assume you did a partial boil and it did not get mixed up well with the top off watter. Even if you only got 40% extract efficiency out of the Munich it would still be 1.050 at five gallons. It's really not possible to miss the OG that much with so much extract in the recipe. It looks like a good American wheat beer. I thinks it's got to be near 1.057 and about 30-35 IBU.

+1 here. Had to be an issue with you getting a sample that wasn't well mixed and had a higher top off water to boil ratio.

Thanks for the replies, I'll definitly let you know. Based on a recipe by saccharomyces on this thread, so I can't take all the credit.

Figured I'd post this in here considering it pertains to this recipe. I'm noticing some extremely slow fermentation in this brew, on the scale of about a .010 drop in gravity every WEEK. My hypothesis is that it's probably caused by underpitching in under oxygenated wort. It's fermenting at about 60F but thats the recommended temp for this yeast. Anyone else have any ideas?

Well I really butchered this one. My fermentation is stuck at 1.020. I'd be ready to assume that I failed to stir my wort properly and therefore got an incorrect SG reading except for the fact that the sample I took today still tastes very sweet. Should I slowly raise the temp and rouse the yeast or repitch?

Or maybe I could hit it with some stabilizer and throw it in a keg with some sprite and make a shandy. :ban:

Back