Couple questions about my ciders.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrall

Reaction score
Hello

I think this is my 3rd thread asking for what probably is very simple questions :eek:

About 3 weeks ago i started with my first cider and since made 5 litres of cider 2 litres of wine and got 2 litres of mead / 6 litres of cider / 1 litres of hard lemonade ( experiment ) on the go.

Now my 6 litres of cider that is currently being fermented is split into 2 x 3 litres batches. One of them used 3 litres of clear normal cider and the other used 2 litres of clear with 1 litres of cloudy.

The batch with only clear has gone crystal clear, roughly the same as the apple juice used but the cloudy one is staying cloudy. Will this ever settle?

Since all this brewing is so fun, cheap and really tastey I have purchased another gallon of apple juice and going to try and make some more cider but improve on my first recipe.

The first recipe I used ( which was lovely ):

5 litres of AJ
cider yeast
half ts of yeast nutrient.

My proposed recipe:

5 litres of AJ
cider yeast
350g jar of honey
1/2 cup of really strong tea
half ts yeast nutrient.

Do you think the revised recipe is decent? if not i would love some advice on how to improve on the first batch.

Cheers

Just normal tea bags ( seen a lot of people saying it adds tannin which gives the cider more body )

The honey is just a jar of honey from the super market, I know its not amazing stuff ( its 100% honey though ) but its sweet, should add something else that sugar wont.

Back