Couple of autosiphon questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeb

Reaction score
Just dry hopped an IPA and having a few flashbacks of one of my previous batches when I didn't realize leaf hops would completely mess up my flow and aerate the whole bucket.

This time I used pellets and will probably add a bag to the end of the siphon for good measure. I'm guessing this is standard protocol for siphoning dry hopped beers?

Also, I'm noticing a lot of auto siphons with a cap, apparently to prevent sucking up too much trub?

rb50b.jpg

replacement-tip-for-1-2-auto-siphon.html

Mine does not have this. If I bought one online, I'm not even sure it would fit my siphon. Mine just has as a round narrow tip

Anyone know about these siphon tips, or if it's worth worrying about?

Athankya in advance.

Also, I'm noticing a lot of auto siphons with a cap, apparently to prevent sucking up too much trub?

Mine does not have this. If I bought one online, I'm not even sure it would fit my siphon. Mine just has as a round narrow tip

Anyone know about these siphon tips, or if it's worth worrying about?

I'm pretty sure the little cap for the end should come with all autosiphons, you should contact whoever you bought it from and ask for one. If you are extra careful and steady when siphoniong it is not absolutely necessary, but it is nice. You can get right down to the yeast cake without sucking up any trub.

As for siphoning dry-hopped beers, I use whole leaf hops and tie them up in a mesh bag. When it's time to rack, I just leave the bag in the fermenter and siphon away. Never had any problems with too much sediment or clogging. The only downside is you lose a little bit of beer.

Back