County Jail Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhamilton

Reaction score
Brewed this in a whim -- the recipe is featured in BYO Volume 18 Issue 3. Extract and partial mash recipes are also available in the issue.

Brewed by Pecan Street Brewing in Johnson City, TX -- from their website:

County Jail Pale Ale - This American Pale Ale is deep gold in color with substantial additions of Cascade hops adding citrusy aromas and flavors to the biscuity malt background. An addition of Rye Malt adds a spicy dimension.

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
38% 3 8 Maris Otter Malt (Thomas Fawcett) 37 3 ~
38% 3 8 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
15% 1 6 Rye Malt 29 4 ~
7% 0 10 Crystal 60L 34 60 ~
3% 0 5 Dextrin (CaraPils) Malt 33 2 ~
Total:9 5

hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 0.4 Magnum pellet 14.0
boil 10 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 5 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 1 min 2.0 Willamette pellet 5.5
dry 7 days 1.0 Cascade pellet 5.5
dry 7 days 1.25 Crystal pellet 3.5

I just brewed this using the partial mash recipe. Had to substitute Perle hops for the Crystal. Looking forward to trying it. How did this turn out for you?

What? No fruit cocktail or bits of yeast roll?

I had a friend that spent about three weeks in county lock up for a DUI/hit and run. He said they made jail house hooch out of the above ingredients and fermented in empty shampoo bottles.

Your recipe sounds much tastier ;)

striles said:
I just brewed this using the partial mash recipe. Had to substitute Perle hops for the Crystal. Looking forward to trying it. How did this turn out for you?

It is still in primary, even though directions only said to primary for a week. Which reminds me I need to dry hop tonight.

rhamilton said:
It is still in primary, even though directions only said to primary for a week. Which reminds me I need to dry hop tonight.

I brewed this in May 2012. Decided not to dry hop the final two hop additions. My hop schedule was as follows:

VARIETY AAU. WT (g). %AA. TIME ( min)
--------------------------------------------------
Magnum. 7. 14. 14. 60
Citra. 6.85. 14. 13.7. 15
Cascade. 6.5. 28. 6.5. 5
Cascade. 6.5. 28. 6.5. 1
Willamette. 10. 60. 4.7. 1
------------------------------------------------

Probably not as hoppy as the original but it was delicious. Smooth and dry with a slight fruity/citrus background to it. Very drinkable.

Back