Counterflow Wort Chiller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLBrew

Reaction score
1. I'm thinking that there would be a point of diminishing returns when it comes to the length of the wort chiller. Does anyone have any experience knowing what that length is?

2. I've seen a build on YouTube using clear vinyl tubing and brass fittings. It looks really nice brand new, but I'm guessing the tubing would begin to pick up the minerals from the tap water and start to cloud up. Anyone made this type if chiller? Here is the link.
http://youtu.be/DVf-lTFpR2c

I also have the option of using 5/16 or 1/2 inch copper for the middle. Any suggestions which would be best?

I made a couple back in the late spring. After running through all the heat transfer calculations I wound up making them 25'. In my calculations, I found this was the optimum length because (50 feet of high temp hose) / (two chillers) = 25 '.

Seriously, I would bet there is some optimum length depending upon wort and water temp. My suggestion, however, is to go with whatever works for the material options you have. Twenty-five feet has worked great for me and that is with the 3/16" copper tubing. In the summer, when the ground water is about 80 deg, I run a 12' copper post chiller through a bucket of ice water and it works fantastic.

As for the clear tubing, what exactly do you want to see? I am guessing it's going to get kind of nasty on the water path. I don't want to see that.

2. I've seen a build on YouTube using clear vinyl tubing and brass fittings. It looks really nice brand new, but I'm guessing the tubing would begin to pick up the minerals from the tap water and start to cloud up.

Use a garden hose. It won't cloud up.

Back