Counterflow chiller to recirc port.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar_dog_1

Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any ill effects of using a counterflow chiller and sending the chilled wort back into the boiling wort to keep the cold break material in a whilpooled cone in the boil pot. Does the reheating of wort give any off flavors?

Why not recirc the hot wort BEFORE you use the CFC and whirlpool like that (should take 5 min maybe) then go to the cfc. I am not sure if there would be any off flavors that would come from that. but i dont see why you would need to do that either. Just make sure your not splashing when coming back in through the recirc port or you will get hot side aeration / oxidation and could definitely produce off flavors.

Cold break occurs after the wort chills when I pump thru chiller and into fermentor, all the cold break ends up in my fermentor. I was hoping to whirlpool the cold break.

I recirculate through my CFC post-boil for about 15 minutes or until the temperature of the wort in the kettle is under 100F. I then let it sit for another 10 minutes to settle the whirlpool that was created from the previous 15 minutes. After that, I turn the CFC back on and run the wort into my fermenters. I still get some cold break in my fermenters, but not as much. I get a nice cone in the kettle from the whirlpool, and the beer turns out great (winning awards, even).

I have used that method for may last 10 or 12 sessions, so around 18 batches. I use ground water to take the temp in the kettle to around 100 degrees, then recirculate ice water to get to pitching temp. I have not noticed any off flavors and I do get a nice whirlpool going.

tertiary: Alt, Vienna Lager

Ok I wadnr sure if the cold break material reacted negativly when introduced back into near boiling wort.

Back