Counterflow chiller design question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jguthner

Reaction score
This CFC got thrown in with a couple keggles I bought I bought. The design looks a little funky to me and I can't find anything online that replicates it.

I'm assuming the inner copper pipe will connect with appropriately sized tubing and hose clamps. The barbs kind of throw me off though, because they're different sizes. The smaller one is 3/4 x 1/2, and the larger one has the markings scratched off.

• Why 2 different sizes?
  • What's the best way to connect the "water in" side to a standard garden hose? Cut off a garden hose and clamp it to the barb?

IMAG2453.jpg

IMAG2454.jpg

IMAG2452.jpg

IMAG2455.jpg

My guess is the smaller fitting is your inlet and the larger is your outlet. That way you don't have any flow restriction. Also, those both look like 3/4" NPT threads. I would adapt them to a 3/4" NPT to Garden Hose (One male and female). McMaster Carr has fitting too.

As for the total length, it looks a bit small. I use a 30' coil. It just may take some time to cool.

Latest posts

Back