Countdown to Armegeddon: Will Yooper's post count break the internet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yooper's post count is about to hit 2^16, 65536. That's a UINT_16 for the code-aware folks.

I'm hoping that the code behind this site is up to date. I don't want to doubt TxBrew and Austin. But if they've got 16-bit unsigned ints in there, either her post count will overflow to zero, or the HBT server will cough up blood.

Will the server choke when Yooper surges past this dubious threshold? Will Austin intervene at the last second to rescue us from sure demise? Is the future of HBT, and of mankind's greatest brewing resource, about to meet its Beerloo?

Stay Tuned!

Yooper Post Countdown Link

Worst case scenario....we'll see something like this....

system failure.jpg

Yooper's post count is about to hit 2^16, 65536. That's a UINT_16 for the code-aware folks.

I'm hoping that the code behind this site is up to date. I don't want to doubt TxBrew and Austin. But if they've got 16-bit unsigned ints in there, either her post count will overflow to zero, or the HBT server will cough up blood.

Will the server choke when Yooper surges past this dubious threshold? Will Austin intervene at the last second to rescue us from sure demise? Is the future of HBT, and of mankind's greatest brewing resource, about to meet its Beerloo?

Stay Tuned!

And if its "int32_t" she'll go all negative on us! Wouldn't want that to happen.:)

Stay Tuned!

I can only write mostly javascript, what is this "integer" type you speak of??? It seems like a big hassle to go around declaring variable types all the time......

Seriously, I just started learning C+ and while I think it's cool that learning a 2nd programming language is much easier than the first, I am getting my ass handed to me since my first language was javascript.

I can only write mostly javascript, what is this "integer" type you speak of??? It seems like a big hassle to go around declaring variable types all the time......

Seriously, I just started learning C+ and while I think it's cool that learning a 2nd programming language is much easier than the first, I am getting my ass handed to me since my first language was javascript.

I love C. I use it a lot (embedded processors), as well as C# (win apps). I played with java a long time ago when I was messing with web stuff, but I lost interest in that. I'm not really a programmer (I'm a hardware guy), but programming is a nice way to break up week of circuit board stuff.

I love C. I use it a lot (embedded processors), as well as C# (win apps). I played with java a long time ago when I was messing with web stuff, but I lost interest in that. I'm not really a programmer (I'm a hardware guy), but programming is a nice way to break up week of circuit board stuff.

Unfortunately I'm not either one, but aside from having a ham radio license I just love to play around with electronics. For years I was pretty frustrated and had trouble learning really kind of hit a plateau. My brother in law has a PHD in electrical engineering and he told me a dozen times the best way to learn was just to "do stuff", and I finally took his advice. I've been hacking apart old electronics to rob parts, and butchering a few simple circuits together. My soldering almost would pass for "acceptable" too now. My dream would be to build a nice electronic controller for brewing, maybe make my own circuit board with the toner transfer method. I've been using that Arduino a lot lately, maybe I'll use that in my brewing project.

Are there any other microcontrollers that a person can program from home? I'm not sure how most of them are interfaced for programming.

C++ is great. But it makes you enforce a lot more than JavaScript. At least it's syntactically similar. I'm sure you'll get it if you keep plugging away.

Also, Javascript isn't without type, it's just loosely/dynamically typed. A number in JS is a 64-bit Floating Point. Meaning that Yooper would have to reach a robust 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 posts before she would roll over the value if the system were JS based. She could still break it...but we might have to wait a little while longer.:)

I have some old 386 machines if HBT is in needing to upgrade!

The 386SX was truly a 16-bit machine. I had one running at 16MHz. So funny. I think it had a 40 or 60MB hard drive. That CPU had no math coprocessor, but you could add one I think. Otherwise, some things ran slow as the math was done in code instead of single-instruction hardware. I remember upgrading it's RAM with individual chips pressed into sockets on the board. The onboard CMOS battery degraded and "leaked" onto the board, resulting in a small fire. I repaired a part of the board with jumper wires and a soldering iron. Those days are over.

C++ is great. But it makes you enforce a lot more than JavaScript. At least it's syntactically similar. I'm sure you'll get it if you keep plugging away.

Also, Javascript isn't without type, it's just loosely/dynamically typed. A number in JS is a 64-bit Floating Point. Meaning that Yooper would have to reach a robust 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 posts before she would roll over the value if the system were JS based. She could still break it...but we might have to wait a little while longer.:)

I don't know about JS, but a 64-bit floating point number can have an exponent with 11 bits (plus a sign bit on the exponent), which means Yooper's post count could go up to 10,000,000,000,000,000,..............,000,...,000. A 10 followed by 1023 zeros. 10^1023. She's not going to reach that unless she morphs into a bot and starts rapidly spamming this site (not altogether unimaginable).

That number you posted is for a 64-bit unsigned integer.

I don't know about JS, but a 64-bit floating point number can have an exponent with 11 bits (plus a sign bit on the exponent), which means Yooper's post count could go up to 10,000,000,000,000,000,..............,000,...,000. A 10 followed by 1023 zeros. 10^1023. She's not going to reach that unless she morphs into a bot and starts rapidly spamming this site (not altoge
That number you posted is for a 64-bit unsigned integer.

Yooper could Harvest a botnet consisting of every hbt user, spam one word replies in 5000000 threads simultaneously for 50 years, and still not come anywhere close to 10'1023....

I started life as a digital hardware EE back when we were still carving 1's and 0's out of stone. Since then I've written bazillions of lines of assembly and C/C++ for embedded systems. Variable size does matter there. I usually prefer C# or Python for Windows/Linux. It's weird writing in Python where you don't declare data types.

I started life as a digital hardware EE back when we were still carving 1's and 0's out of stone. Since then I've written bazillions of lines of assembly and C/C++ for embedded systems. Variable size does matter there. I usually prefer C# or Python for Windows/Linux. It's weird writing in Python where you don't declare data types.

C# (and .NET) are great for rapid developent, but it's very awkward to use because of the lack of pointers, string manipulation, and especially conversion from one data type to another. Sometimes you can (cast) variables, sometimes you have to use API functions. Compiled libraries like .NET do bring a lot of power, but as you know that layer of abstraction that comes with API libraries means you don't know what the heck's going on under the hood. In the embedded processor world, you need to know the processor at the hardware level to use the peripherals, especially if you're writing in assembly.

I made a little triangle make a circle on the screen once. That was pretty cool.
In all seriousness, i respect the heck out of you programmers. There is no way i could ever do that stuff.

<snip> My dream would be to build a nice electronic controller for brewing, maybe make my own circuit board with the toner transfer method. I've been using that Arduino a lot lately, maybe I'll use that in my brewing project.

Are there any other microcontrollers that a person can program from home? I'm not sure how most of them are interfaced for programming.

These raspberry devices are looking friendly to an ole' guy like me:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-2-model-b/

'da Kid

Stay Tuned!

Wait...I thought you were maintaining the code. I have to go.

C# (and .NET) are great for rapid developent, but it's very awkward to use because of the lack of pointers, string manipulation, and especially conversion from one data type to another. Sometimes you can (cast) variables, sometimes you have to use API functions. Compiled libraries like .NET do bring a lot of power, but as you know that layer of abstraction that comes with API libraries means you don't know what the heck's going on under the hood. In the embedded processor world, you need to know the processor at the hardware level to use the peripherals, especially if you're writing in assembly.

C# does support pointers

I have always found string manipulation to be MUCH easier in C#/.Net than in any other language or framework I've ever seen. You can do some pretty amazing things with LINQ.

Type casting and conversion are tricky in any strongly-typed language. I will say that VB .Net does some stuff for you implicitly that is kind of a pain in C# because you have to do everything explicitly.

Part of what makes .Net, Java, etc. so nice is that you don't need to know the processor at the hardware level, since all of that stuff is abstracted away from you. And in the rare cases where you do need that, you can write a C++ class library and reference it from your C# project. It really is the best of both worlds.

And for those of use that play or used to play guitar while stoned, what might happen...

Last edited by a moderator:
On another forum I've been a part of since 2005, I have around 4000 posts. Chat posts don't count toward the total. Years ago, some friends and I started a counter website that tracked how many posts we made in a specific thread. Last time I looked, I had nearly 100k in that thread alone, not to mention the rest of chat.

This thread keeps giving me flashbacks to programming in college in the early 80's. Coming up with icons, windowing software, etc before they became part of windows was exciting. At the time, we were learning C, but now it's C++. Among others, like Cobol & Fortran. I'm a bit rusty for this new-age stuff, thus the flashbacks? Gee, thanks...I think?...IDK?...:confused:

I heard HBT had to upgrade to a 32 bit system just because of @yooper, so we're safe until she gets to 4294967296 posts!

EDIT: :) (just to be safe)

This thread keeps giving me flashbacks to programming in college in the early 80's. Coming up with icons, windowing software, etc before they became part of windows was exciting. At the time, we were learning C, but now it's C++. Among others, like Cobol & Fortran. I'm a bit rusty for this new-age stuff, thus the flashbacks? Gee, thanks...I think?...IDK?...:confused:

Icons, windowing?? How does that work in 80x24?
Two of my community college professors went in on an Imsai 8080 and the first code they wrote (toggled?) was a keyboard driver. That was in '78. We were impressed!
I was writing machine code on my TRS 80 Model 4 as soon as Radio Shack started selling a compiler for it - Fortran 4, pbly 84ish. But, ended up writing inventory control and customer manager, for my fathers mfg business, in basic instead (with a direct access DB on 5.25 floppies!). He used it for probably 10 years till computers for the masses, and programs, were more affordable. I still have it all.... and with much effort managed to get the data off the TRSDOS disks on to MSDOS disks. But that's a whole other tale.

Ahhh, the good old days.

And, glad to hear Yooper did not crash HBT.

Icons, windowing?? How does that work in 80x24?
Two of my community college professors went in on an Imsai 8080 and the first code they wrote (toggled?) was a keyboard driver. That was in '78. We were impressed!
I was writing machine code on my TRS 80 Model 4 as soon as Radio Shack started selling a compiler for it - Fortran 4, pbly 84ish. But, ended up writing inventory control and customer manager, for my fathers mfg business, in basic instead (with a direct access DB on 5.25 floppies!). He used it for probably 10 years till computers for the masses, and programs, were more affordable. I still have it all.... and with much effort managed to get the data off the TRSDOS disks on to MSDOS disks. But that's a whole other tale.

Ahhh, the good old days.

And, glad to hear Yooper did not crash HBT.

I don't rightly remember, since a certain son didn't understand you don't toss the floppies on the floor after loading them, then rolling the bloody chair over'em! We used Tandy computers in programming class @ Ohio Business College in 83-84, or 82-84? There were like 4, maybe 5 of us in class that came up with these things. Me & 2 classmates/buddies did the icon thing to initiate a program from the title screen, as we used to call it. I could sit at those computers back then & do calculus all day. I had a year & a half in when Ford transferred me to Cinci, where only one lousy credit was transferable. I had saved all that stuff, but it's gone now. I think I still have the coco1,2, & 3 with the floppy drive though.

Latest posts

Back