Could you tell me How to make Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jun77

Reaction score
Hi Im japanese, recently I started home brewing as my hobby in Japan and now Im thinking of making new style of Milk Stout Recipe. but Im wondering whether about my recipe is correct or not. Is there anyone know exact recipe of Milk Stout ? following is my first recipe. if someone know alternative one lets me know I'll try to do it.

Style sweet stout(left hand milk stout clone)
Recipe Type All Grain
Boiling Time(minutes) 60min~90min
Mash Profile single infusion,full body, no mash out
Batch Size (L) 10
Mash efficiency (%) 75
OG 1.060 Brix 14.7
Attenuation (%) 81 US-5
FG 1.011
AVE (%) 6.3
SRM 38.0
Malt (g)
pale malt 1865
roasted barley 104
chocolate malt 311
lactose 207
rice hulls 104
Total 2591

fuggles ?(g)
Total IBUs 21.0

Thanks useful information. if you know alternative ingredients of Munich Malt, Magnum hop, and Goldings East Kent, please lets me know(brewer's shops of our country have only limited ingredients so we cant afford to make lots of variety of beer)

Personally, I highly doubt that 6% Munich is going to make a noticeable flavor impact in a stout. If you can’t find it, skip it altogether and replace it with more of your primary base malt (2-row or maris otter are good options).

Bittering hops (at 60min) can be switched around without much effect on the beer flavor (relatively speaking, at least). So long as you use a similar AAU contribution, you can substitute almost anything for the Magnum hops.

For the EKG hops, those are probably a bit more important to the recipe. But just because your result might come out a bit different from the recipe, doesn’t mean it will not be a good milk stout. You could try some other UK variety, like fuggles. Some people don’t like fuggles though, so do a bit of research and pick one.

Good luck!

I have two different recipes for two different varieties of milk stout; they use caramel (40, 60 and 120) and chocolate malts and English hops such as Fuggle, Northern Brewer and Progress.

I recently made a dark abbey ale that used Pacific Jade hops; this worked well and these might make an effective bittering hop. Perhaps Sorachi Ace, as well? As for aroma hops, perhaps Styrian Golding might be an option, if you cannot find Fuggle, Northern Brewer or Progress.

I hope this helps - good luck with your venture!

Ron

For what it is worth, I see that you have 207 g of lactose in a 10 liter batch. I normally use 225 g in a 20 liter batch. Not sure how sweet you want it. I hope someone in here speaks up to correct me if I am wrong about that. (Ooops did bad math - never mind volume is correct)

The choice of Magnum for bittering is hard to go wrong with. It is very neutral and works well with just about anything at the end of the boil.

I am finding that in sweet stouts, Ahtanum does a wonderful job at the end of the boil. That is just me though

Of course, English varieties are a great choice if you like beers with English hops. Fuggles will work and Willamette will too (not technically English, but derived from fuggle).

Keep in mind that all of these suggestions are based on trial and personal preference. I like Columbus for bittering and Ahtanum for late boil in a sweet stout.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I was thinking of other types of MilK Stout recipe but I haven't still come to conclusion whether which is best. Is there anyone who know which is the best recipe.
(Especially ratio and ingredients)

Type 1
Recipe Type All Grain
Boiling Time(minutes) 60min
Mash Profile the lactose is added with 10 minutes left in the boil.
Batch Size (L) 10
Mash efficiency (%) 75
OG 1.062 Brix 15.2
Attenuation (%) 81 US-5
FG 1.012
AVE (%) 6.5
SRM 41.5
Malt
pale malt 1514
roasted barley 216
caramel/crystal 162
chocolate malt 162
munich malt 162
flaked barley 135
flaked oats 108
lactose 216
Hops     
magnum 9.92
goldings e.k 28.35

Type2
Recipe Type All Grain
Boiling Time(minutes) 90min
Mash Profile; Mash at 66℃ for 90min,the lactose is added with 15 minutes left in the boil.
Batch Size (L) 10
Mash efficiency (%) 75
OG 1.068 Brix
Attenuation (%) 81 US-5
FG 1.016
ABV (%) 7.0
SRM 41.0
Malt
pale malt 1514
roasted barley 216
60L crystal 162
chocolate malt 162
munich malt 162
flaked barley 135
flaked oats 108
lactose 216
Hops     
magnum 9.92
goldings e.k 28.35

No way to come to a conclusion about which is best until you make it. I recommend simply picking a recipe.

For me, I would use Type1. No reason for a 90 min boil.

I would also mash a little higher (67-68) and use US-04 instead of US-05. The ABV will be a little less and will not finish dry, but when does a milk stout finish dry? It is a beast and works very fast. Additionally, it flocculates better making for a cleaner beer. Bear in mind, this is a fast yeast and in a Milk stout will require a blow-off tube instead of an airlock.

Latest posts

Back