Could use some recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue_Atom87

Reaction score
So I have family coming into town over Halloween and plan was to brew an imperial stout. After getting all the ingredients the plan changed to basically brewing anything but a stout or porter. Looking for help to see you all have a recipe that incorporates the ingredients I already have. I dont mind buying additional ingredients just hate to see these go to waste. I know I will have to throw out the chocolate/caramel/roasted barley as they are mixed together.

Batch size 1.5-2.5 gallon
6lb 2-Row
3/4lb Carapils
*The above are mixed together in a bag so would have to use both*

1oz Cascade
1oz Chinook
1oz Fuggle

1 pack SafeAle US-05
1 pack White Labs WLP007

Honestly, don't worry about impressing family. Brew what you want and buy beer for entertainment purposes if need be. There's always next year to show off your aged imperial stout!

The stout was requested by brother in laws but literally right after getting home from LHBS they said no so something else. I am not familiar with all the grains and which style benefit from which grains. Trying to see if there is a good ale recipe out there that benefits from what I already have so dont have to toss everything out and start over

75% - base malt
12% - roasted grains ( I like to split this between roasted barley and Carafa III)
5-7% mid to dark crystal malt/specialty malt
6-8% body building grain (wheat or oat)
Mash 152-154

this base has never failed me. Then you can add adjuncts like vanilla, coffee, or cocoa nibs.

I like clean fermenting yeast for my stouts personally like us05 but any that fits your fancy is fine.

Again, let your taste guide the home brew! The only thing brother in law's are good for Is making it disappear to soon!!

Experience talking here!

Yeah I decided to go with a DIPA. Played around in Brewfather and came up with the below. Will probably brew it next weekend after the NEIPA I have in fermenter is transferred to keg

1.5Gal BIAB at 63% Efficiency

3.5lb Pale Ale Malt
1lb Flaked Barkley
1/2LB Carapils

.5oz Cascade 60min
.5oz Citra 15min
.5oz Sweet Orange Peel 5min
.5oz Chinook Hopstand at 175F
.5oz Citra Hopstand at 175F
.5oz Cascade Dry Hop day 5
.5oz Fuggle Dry Hop day 5

1/2 packet of either WLP001 or WLP007. I have both on hand. Not sure which would be better.

Brewfather Calculations
ABV - 7.9%
OG - 1.075
FG - 1.015
SRM - 6.3
IBU - 87

Seems like a lot of flaked barley but...?

I would ditch the Fuggle DH for something more fruity. Like more Citra or Cascade.

I would go WLP007.

And of course plans change again. Plan on brewing vanilla orange creamsicle below tomorrow using BIAB. I want to try No chill because I brew early and about time I am done with flameout the kid gets out of bed. Since I ferment in Keg I will purge of all O2 and put it in cooler beg for kegs with ice packs and let it sit overnight. Question is do I need to adjust the timeframe for hop additions below

2gal batch

3.75lb 2-row
.5lb flaked barkey
.5lb carapils
7oz lactose-when is best time to add?
.5oz sweet orange peel at 10min

.5oz each cascade,chinook, citra hopstand 175F

wlp0001 can I use whole pack for 2 gal?

dry hop day 5 - .5oz each cascade and citra
.5oz

.5oz vanilla in serving keg prior to transfer from primary

I will always suggest making a tincture with the zest of 2 medium oranges with one vanilla bean in 3 to 4 oz of high quality vodka. When orange peals are boiled, even sweet orange, you get a pithy orange flavor that’s a tad bitter. The tincture will be far brighter. Also you can add the tincture to taste which is extremely helpful.

I know @Jag75 just recently brewed one so he may have some more recent invite for you

Well Amazon fubar my order of Lactose and lost it. Looks like coming Wed. Now I will just add it to serving keg with vanilla. Ill give it a little shake a few times to incorporate it. Dont plan on boiling since will be after cold crash. Figured if maintained less 35F will be fine. Thoughts?

Not sure what you mean Dgallo

as far as advice on vodka I picked up small bottle today at store. Should the orange zest be submerged or just wet enough to sanitize?

Not sure what you mean Dgallo

as far as advice on vodka I picked up small bottle today at store. Should the orange zest be submerged or just wet enough to sanitize?
I thought you were messing with us to be honest. Sorry.

Yes you need to dissolve the lactose in water or beer before adding it. If you try adding it to the keg or cold crashed fermenter it will be the equivalent when they put granulated sugar into iced coffee... it will not get even my distributed/diluted

Adjusted recipe for 2.25 gallon and mashed at 149 for 90min. Pre boil gravity came in at 1.041 vs 1.037 predicted using my 63% efficiency from last time. Post boil refractometer said 1.052 and temp corrected hydrometer was at 1.063. Wort was 155F at time. Transferred to keg and purged of O2. Letting cool in cooler woth two ice packs before pitching yeast tomorrow

note the gravities above are without Lactose so I imagine my BH efficiency went up thanks to 90min mash. Only thing dont know of now is when to add Orange/Tangerine and Lactose. I didnt want to do orange in boil as I want a lot of orange flavor and I heard boiling may take some of flavor away

couple questions. Can I pull enough beer after fermentation and heat in pan to disolve lactose then back into fermenter for good mix? If dissolving 1/2lb lactose would that little of beer exposed to oxygen affect whole batch?

at same time was thinking of puree a few pounds tangerine and sous vide at 150 kill bacteria. Add to hop sack and put in at end fermentation with Lactose and let sit giving good mix ever day. If thisis bad idea I can add zest

of course will remove O2 as much as possible by purging during all of this

75% - base malt
12% - roasted grains ( I like to split this between roasted barley and Carafa III)
5-7% mid to dark crystal malt/specialty malt
6-8% body building grain (wheat or oat)
Mash 152-154

this base has never failed me. Then you can add adjuncts like vanilla, coffee, or cocoa nibs.

I like clean fermenting yeast for my stouts personally like us05 but any that fits your fancy is fine.
Planning my first stout and going to try this strategy. What is meant by mid-to-dark crystal/specialty malt here? I assume that something like Cara 45 (caramunich) would fit the "mid" crystal range? Any by specialty malts - I am assuming nothing roasted for this category since you already have 12% roasted grains?

My plan thus far is to evenly split the roasted grains with roasted barley and carafe III as suggested and use flaked oats for the body building grain and then use 5:2 ratio of 2-row (Rahr) to pale ale 2-row (Briess) malt. So the mid-dark crystal malt category is what Im struggling with. Again - new to the stout game. My goal with this is to simply have a nice stout with some roastiness with coffee and a little chocolate undertones but without adding any adjuncts for this beer.

Planning my first stout and going to try this strategy. What is meant by mid-to-dark crystal/specialty malt here? I assume that something like Cara 45 (caramunich) would fit the "mid" crystal range? Any by specialty malts - I am assuming nothing roasted for this category since you already have 12% roasted grains?

My plan thus far is to evenly split the roasted grains with roasted barley and carafe III as suggested and use flaked oats for the body building grain and then use 5:2 ratio of 2-row (Rahr) to pale ale 2-row (Briess) malt. So the mid-dark crystal malt category is what Im struggling with. Again - new to the stout game. My goal with this is to simply have a nice stout with some roastiness with coffee and a little chocolate undertones but without adding any adjuncts for this beer.
So I’m specifically talking about like using crystals 40-160, cara malts like Caramunich or caravienna, or special b. You can mix them in that percentage. I personally usually mix special b and Cara Munich at a 2:3 ratio to fill that percentage. I make a lot of imperial stouts so that’s typically .5-.75lb special b and .75-1.25lb Caramunich II

So I’m specifically talking about like using crystals 40-160, cara malts like Caramunich or caravienna, or special b. You can mix them in that percentage. I personally usually mix special b and Cara Munich at a 2:3 ratio to fill that percentage. I make a lot of imperial stouts so that’s typically .5-.75lb special b and .75-1.25lb Caramunich II
Thanks a ton! I do love special B, used it in a belgian dubbel and was great. Just wasn't sure how much "caramel" this section of the recipe would add to the stout. So definitely gonna add special B and either weyerman Caramunich I or briess caramel munich (60L).

Back