cote de blanc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithw44

Reaction score
Started 5 gallons of cider with this yeast however it never started i think i pitched the yeast in too hot a water to get it going like the package said,so i gave it nutrient and it started up however it stopped bubbling outta the airlock after about 6 days. I did this same yeast last year and its a decent cider but it went a lot longer then 6 days. Its now been about 6-7 weeks of no bubbling with a 1, 1 1/2 " layer of sediment i took the cap off the airlock and it smells like nothing i havnt sampled it to see what the taste is like but im concerned about how soon this stopped anyone have any reccommendation of what to do? let it be, rerack it, do something else? I have a batch or hc47, 1122, and wyeast sweet mead all going also and they all smell like cider and are still bubbling all started the same day 10-14-11

Just rack it and take a gravity reading. Then check again in 3 days and again 3 days after that. If they're all the same and somewhere close to 1.000 then it's fermented out.

If its much higher then you might have a stuck ferment, but I doubt it. You probably just had a nice long, slow ferment.

The few wine yeasts I've used, including Cote des Blancs, don't produce much krausen if any, and don't particularly bubble; they seem to fizz more than anything. However, neither bubbling nor fizzing indicate anything useful about degree of fermentation. The only way to determine that is to take a gravity reading.

Back