Cost of partial mash vs all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkw1000

Reaction score
I'm a partial mash brewer and wanted to know if there is greater savings in all grain brewing over partial mash. Seems like a little more time for all grain, but comes greater flexibility in beers. Wondering about cost.
Thanks!

My deep thoughts: purely financiallyAG is cheaper because base grain is cheaper than extract. However the cost of more equipment time and constant search for upgrades in reality makes beermaking in general less economical then most would care to admit

It really isent cheaper to do all grain to be honest. I have spent quite a bit of money on basic equipment that is needed for all grain but it sure is fun for me. You can do a cheaper way, BIAB and all you need is the bag and a pot. The place i get my grains at has the option to mill mine or buy them whole. saves from buying the machine.

I enjoy making beer because its relaxing and the results are sweet. I'm thinking about starting to culture/ slant my yeast so that will save money in the future. :)

If you already do partial, it shouldent be much of a difference to get a few things and upgrade.

It can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. Just because you are going all grain, it doesn't mean you need to build a three tier system. Conversely, you are taking a deeper step into the hobby and will likely spend more money as you get more involved.

I agree with the above post. The ingredients are cheaper but the equipment is not and it takes more time to brew, but you are more involved in the process. It is an initial investment but for me it is a passion. I buy bulk grain, have many mason jars in my freezer full of hops (20+ lbs of 15-20 varieties), I harvest my yeast etc etc. So if I really wanted to break it down financially I bet I can brew a batch for under $20.

1# of extract is $3.50 and yields 1.044
1# 2 row in bulk is $.65 and yields 1.038 per gallon

Savings of around $2.85 + or - per gallon just for the base beer.

Add in all the equipment, grain mill, heavy duty drill etc. Its not worth it to some.

oneandahalfshepherds said:
My deep thoughts: purely financiallyAG is cheaper because base grain is cheaper than extract. However the cost of more equipment time and constant search for upgrades in reality makes beermaking in general less economical then most would care to admit

+1
However, if you research thoroughly and get equipment you don't have to upgrade regularly, it can be cheaper than partial mash - in the long run. It should be pretty easy. Look at setups you think are cool and ask the owners how much they spent. Also try to figure out the energy cost of each brew session on these setups. Then you'll have a figure to compare your accumulated naterials costs against. Remember: malt is dirt cheap when bought in bulk.

I went from kit to AG last year. Made my own mash tun for around $80, made my own heat exchanger (which you may already have) that cost about $12 for material. It costs me about $25 per 5 gallon batch, but I do it because I love it!

I'm slowly but surely improving my kit this weekend was a gas burner for $90. Best investment yet! Took me the best part of 6 hours start to finish to do a 5 gallon batch with electric cooker, today it took me 3! I enjoy it, the smells are sensational, the results are good + I bake bread and make dog biscuits with the spent grain I couldn't recommend it enough!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you brew extract, you can move to all grain for $5. Just add a paint strainer bag from lows. My first two brews were BIAB...then I got a mash tun made from an Igloo cooler and some spare plumbing parts. You don't need a mill....your home brew store can do that for you. You may get better efficiency with three vessel, you may get better efficiency with milling your own grain....but you don't need to. The bag to do BIAB (if you get a cheap one) will probably pay for itself the first or second brew you do.

Back