Cost of bulk liquid yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braak007

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to ask about this, but I've been trying for hours to figure out the cost of buying bulk liquid yeast for a 10bbl system. This is for my term project for a financial modeling class. I know you can buy vials with ~100 billion cells for about $8. From my understanding you need about 250 billion for a 5 gallon brew (let me know if that's wrong). That's would be a lot of vials and money for 10bbl. I haven't been able to get quotes for bulk purchases of yeast without applying for an account with different companies. Does anyone have an idea of what bulk prices are?

Thank you!

I would recommend contacting Wyeast or White Labs directly to inquire about such a large batch. They do sell to breweries for that size of pitch.

Some micro-breweries will also sell or give away their excess yeast. I've gotten yeast from my local macro before. Legally they probably can't sell it though.

The number of yeast cells needed for a batch depends on the type of beer. A 5 gallon batch of a 1.040 OG beer needs only 142 billion cells; while a 1.080 beer needs 274 billion cells.

You can play around with Mr. Malty's or Homebrewdad's yeast calculators to determine the amount of yeast needed. For fun, a 310 gallon (10 bbl) batch of a 1.040 beer would 8.795 trillion yeast cells.

Just so you are aware for your paper, breweries "recycle" their yeast from batch to batch. So after the initial investment, the yeast should carry them for quite some time. They don't have to buy a fresh pitch for each batch.

I would email wyeast or white labs. They usually get back to people pretty quickly.

A smaller lab like RVA might be a good place.

[email protected]

We offer pitchable quantities of yeast and bacteria for up to 15 BBL.
Free delivery to breweries in the City of Richmond, Virginia.
$25 delivery to all breweries in the metro RVA area.
Shipping available throughout the USA and abroad.
We also offer native yeast capture!
Email us or use the contact form for pricing and ordering information. You will be glad you did!

I've used their yeast and been very pleased.

Wyeast charges roughly 67$ per litre of common yeast (american ale, london etc) my 5 bbl brewery needs 2.5L per batch under 16 plato (3 trillion cells) and then you can double that for lagers or 16 - 19 plato brews. So a brand new yeast strain for a 10 bbl from Wyeast is roughly $335 (5L)

I haven't been able to get quotes for bulk purchases of yeast without applying for an account with different companies. Does anyone have an idea of what bulk prices are?

Thank you!
Pricing on line. http://brewingscience.com/

My good old days, yeast for my first German Pils.

Attachments

• 1995_Franz-Brauerei0001.jpg
    1995_Franz-Brauerei0001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 101
Wyeast charges roughly 67$ per litre of common yeast (american ale, london etc) my 5 bbl brewery needs 2.5L per batch under 16 plato (3 trillion cells) and then you can double that for lagers or 16 - 19 plato brews. So a brand new yeast strain for a 10 bbl from Wyeast is roughly $335 (5L)

Note that this is a 3-year-old thread. But eg TYB have their bulk pricing online, US$315 for a 10bbl pitch.

why would you not just build a big starter at that price? - it's only time not materials

the idea of paying 10X more for 10X more yeast just seems absolutely bonkers to me

why would you not just build a big starter at that price? - it's only time not materials

the idea of paying 10X more for 10X more yeast just seems absolutely bonkers to me

That pitch will be used for about 10 fermentations. Most smaller breweries don’t have the required gear, staff or lab services to grow up slants to pitch quantities.

Basically it’s a cost basis decision since it’s cheaper to buy yeast than hire a micro biologist and build out a lab.

@Dcpcooks - I did think just after I posted it - that it was hypocrisy - I think nothing of buying in stuff at work I could do myself - knowing the margin that's being binned in the process

Back