Corsendonk Pater Brown Bottle Harvest Qs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlantic

Reaction score
I am in the middle of my first try bottle harvesting (well, second -- the first got infected pretty quickly and went down the drain).

I took the slurry from a bottle of 12 ounce Corsendonk Pater ( Monk's ) abbey brown ale and have been gradually stepping up until I now have a quart mason jar mostly filled with wort and a fairly thin layer of yeast that is happily producing bubbles 'n' foam 'n' gas.

Here are my two questions:

1) I want to get enough a big enough yeast cake for a 5 gallon batch of a moderately high gravity beer. What approximate volume of yeast cake am I aiming for?

When I've repitched in the past I've just loaded my wort straight onto the old cake in my fermenter, but obviously I won't get anywhere near this sized yeast cake from my bottle harvest, and I don't have a good sense of how the amount of yeast from previous times using liquid yeast and starter compares to the amount I have now.

When I talk about volume of yeast cake, I realize you can't say something like 1 cup = 1 billion cells, I'm more looking for a rule of thumb that will say something like a cup of yeast slurry is enough to get a good starter going, or 1/2 cup, or whatever. Right now my eyeballs say I have about 1/8 cup of yeast sediment, but I have no idea if that's a lot or a little.

2) Does anyone know about Corsendonk brown ale yeast? I'd be interested in knowing if there's an exact match with a commercial yeast, ideal temps, stuff like that.

I've read that the yeast in the bottle is the same as what they use to ferment, but that's about it.

This recipe from byo.com recommends using either White Labs WLP530 or Wyeast 1214 to clone the Corsendonk Pater, but those two aren't exactly the same, and I don't think I want to make a clone, either, just something in the general family.

http://***********/stories/recipein...ong-ale/1778-corsendonk-monks-brown-ale-clone

Does anyone know more about this yeast? Thanks in advance.

I am in the middle of my first try bottle harvesting (well, second -- the first got infected pretty quickly and went down the drain).

I took the slurry from a bottle of 12 ounce Corsendonk Pater ( Monk's ) abbey brown ale and have been gradually stepping up until I now have a quart mason jar mostly filled with wort and a fairly thin layer of yeast that is happily producing bubbles 'n' foam 'n' gas.

Here are my two questions:

1) I want to get enough a big enough yeast cake for a 5 gallon batch of a moderately high gravity beer. What approximate volume of yeast cake am I aiming for?

When I've repitched in the past I've just loaded my wort straight onto the old cake in my fermenter, but obviously I won't get anywhere near this sized yeast cake from my bottle harvest, and I don't have a good sense of how the amount of yeast from previous times using liquid yeast and starter compares to the amount I have now.

When I talk about volume of yeast cake, I realize you can't say something like 1 cup = 1 billion cells, I'm more looking for a rule of thumb that will say something like a cup of yeast slurry is enough to get a good starter going, or 1/2 cup, or whatever. Right now my eyeballs say I have about 1/8 cup of yeast sediment, but I have no idea if that's a lot or a little.

2) Does anyone know about Corsendonk brown ale yeast? I'd be interested in knowing if there's an exact match with a commercial yeast, ideal temps, stuff like that.

I've read that the yeast in the bottle is the same as what they use to ferment, but that's about it.

This recipe from byo.com recommends using either White Labs WLP530 or Wyeast 1214 to clone the Corsendonk Pater, but those two aren't exactly the same, and I don't think I want to make a clone, either, just something in the general family.

http://***********/stories/recipein...ong-ale/1778-corsendonk-monks-brown-ale-clone

Does anyone know more about this yeast? Thanks in advance.

I'm currently trying to do this myself. How did you make out? was it the actual yeast they use to ferment the batch?

Back