Correcting for an overboil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I made a series of tragic errors. I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout, but while I was bringing the wort to boil after adding all of the malt, I had a very significant overboil and lost a significant amount of malt. I continued through the instructions (brewers best) and when I was bringing up the water level in the primary, I was a bit absent minded and filled it all the way up to 5-gallons when I was planning on going a bit lower to avoid diluting the lower amount of wort. I took the gravity, and it was 62, while the directions tell me that it should be 76-80, indicating that I did in fact dilute the beer.

What can I do to salvage it? I am considering adding a pound of dark DME, either during the primary or when I transfer to the secondary. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

I would just leave it and have a lower gravity beer. It should still be good.

If you add extract but not grains or hops, it might not be very balanced.

Thanks, I am a little worried about balance. I am now considering creating some wort by seeping a small amount of the grains for the beer (maybe 2 ounces each) with the DME in maybe a quart or so of water, and adding that into the brew. Since the overboil happened before the hops were added, I am concerned that the normal dose of hops will make it unbalanced in that direction.

What are your thoughts on that strategy?

I would just leave it be... you can add dme to boost your final abv but now your playing with a recipe and throwing it out of whack. Id wait till ferm is done take a sample and taste it before playing with it. You might have a great beer. If not lesson learned right:D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Back