Corny post tightening?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
Just read a couple people saying they really have to crank down the gas and liquid posts on their kegs to stop leakage.

I don't understand why that might be, considering the oring inside. Once the post bottoms on the keg body even cranking down pretry hard shouldn't materially change the crush/fit of the oring should it?

Your understanding is correct. However at our low pressures it might be possible to stop a leak this way but its not ideal. I just served a keg of beer using a sankey fitting that had been adapted to have corny posts and the posts were hand tightened. No leaks.

I read another post where someone said that had to beat on the wrench with a hammer to keep the post from leaking. That is wrong on so many levels.

The post should be snug, not overtight. I use a deep socket on mine, and hand tight works just fine.

:mug:

Back