Corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really. Beer generally keeps better at lower temps so you might not want to store it in the warmest place in your house. It wouldn’t hurt to hook the keg up to gas and pressurize it to 30 psi, or so, to make sure the lid is sealed before storing it. The beer will absorb the Co2 pretty quickly but it won’t be enough to carbonate it; just enough to ensure a good seal.

Not really. Beer generally keeps better at lower temps so you might not want to store it in the warmest place in your house. It wouldn’t hurt to hook the keg up to gas and pressurize it to 30 psi, or so, to make sure the lid is sealed before storing it. The beer will absorb the Co2 pretty quickly but it won’t be enough to carbonate it; just enough to ensure a good seal.
Thank you!

I was just thinking about this today in relation to something I was doing. If you pressurize the headspace and unhook the gas, will your seal be potentially broken once the CO2 is absorbed into the beer?

I was just thinking about this today in relation to something I was doing. If you pressurize the headspace and unhook the gas, will your seal be potentially broken once the CO2 is absorbed into the beer?
The beer absorbing the Co2 will slightly carbonate the beer so there will be a bit of positive pressure in the keg.

I brew 10 gallon batches (2) corny kegs. When I brew ales I store the 2nd keg in my basement (65 deg. F) with 5-10 psi CO2 with no issues.
When I brew a lager I keep the 2nd keg in my keezer to finish lagering so that I can free up my fermenter.

Back