Corny keg second fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie02173

Reaction score
I am currently brewing my first two home brews one is an american ipa pale ale recommended 2 weeks fermentation. The other is a BIAB home brew lager which i have been told to ferment at a lower temoerature, and also I was not given a reccomended fermentation time on the lager.
I was assuming withing 2 weeks both will be ready to transfer to corny kegs. I am a beginner but i am worried about the collection of yeast at the bottom of my brew clogging my corny keg.
Should i ferment primary for as long as possible to prevent this? And has any heard of trimming the beer supply in the bottom of the keg?

I’ve got one I’ll be kegging this weekend. Will have been in primary two weeks. I usually keg within two or three weeks, if all is well. The first pour might have a little bit of stuff in it but I have never seen that as a problem. You can drink or toss the first pour. Up to you. I’ve never trimmed my dip tubes. Others may have differing advice.

edit: I meant to say I have never clogged a tube. As long as you aren’t violently shanking the fermenter before transferring I think you will be good.

Don't worry about yeast getting into the keg. Yeast will not clog anything in the serving apparatus, and whatever settles on the bottom will be dispensed in the first pours. It will be clear after that. Now hops - don't let hops get into your keg without special preparation (another topic). Hop bits will definitely clog the poppet on your beer out post.

Don't worry about yeast getting into the keg. Yeast will not clog anything in the serving apparatus, and whatever settles on the bottom will be dispensed in the first pours. It will be clear after that. Now hops - don't let hops get into your keg without special preparation (another topic). Hop bits will definitely clog the poppet on your beer out post.
I have to add dry hops to one of the worths so i will add them in a bag thanks for the advice

Back