Corny keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyAB

Reaction score
I was just the beneficiary of 6 pinlock kegs from an acquaintance that owns a restaurant and who wanted to get rid of them because he no longer uses them. Anyway the kegs I have used up to this point have been ball lock so I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, if I wanted to convert over to ball lock posts, will they be compatible?

Secondly, these kegs don't have the split ring to relieve pressure. How is this done on these kegs?

Thanks
Randy

You can buy ball lock conversion posts for pin lock kegs. As for relieving gas pressure, you can either rely on just pressing down on the gas post poppet, or you can buy new lids with pressure relief valves...

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately some of the kegs are still half full. I still smell like Sprite from pushing on the poppet :(

I've picked up a few replacement lids (from Keg Connection)... All but one were used and you could change out the relief valve in the lid if you wanted/needed to later. Used lids are typically a bit cheaper than new ones. I would check the current lids you have to see if you can remove the relief valve that's in them (sacrificial in pin-lock lids). IF you can, then just get the pull-relief types to replace them. If not, then I'd get some used lids and replace them as you can.

I'd also get some PBW for when you dump out the old soda. Rinse them out as best you can, then put about a gallon of hot tap water in the keg and 1-2oz of PBW in with it. Let it dissolve for a bit (10-15 minutes should be enough) then shake the hell out of it. That should clean up most of whatever is inside the keg. I do that to clean out all the kegs I have now. If it looks especially bad, I'll mix up enough to let that part/area soak in it. At most I have to reach in and wipe with a sponge or nylon brush after. You can also soak the dip tubes in some solution to clean them out. They also make brushes that will do a solid job on cleaning the tubes. I got mine (recently) from William's Brewing. It's much easier than the older brush type you used to get sold (the other was longer, but the brush was not large enough).

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately some of the kegs are still half full. I still smell like Sprite from pushing on the poppet :(

If they were only half full, the only way you'd get Sprited would be by pushing on the beer poppet. Next time use the gas poppet!

Cheers!

If they were only half full, the only way you'd get Sprited would be by pushing on the beer poppet. Next time use the gas poppet!

Cheers!

I hope he had pressed on the gas post... If not, he got a small 'Sprite shower'... :eek: Most of us have had a 'beer shower' from opening up sanke kegs before figuring out the best/safe way to do it. :D

Back