Corny keg post/poppet identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjaffy

Reaction score
I recently acquired a used 3-gallon ball-lock corny keg and took it apart last night to clean it out. The posts look fairly similar to the posts that I have on my firestone kegs, but the poppet is definitely different, looks like a cornelius poppet. I was interested in getting a replacement gas-side post/poppet as there's some rust/corrosion where the poppet seals. I've looked at a couple sites where I can buy replacement posts, and all the cornelius ball-lock posts look different from what I have. The posts I have look more like firestone-style than cornelius style. Can anyone confirm that the posts I have can be replaced with this cornelius gas post and this liquid post
The difference between the new cornelius posts I see out there and the ones I have is that the part of the body of the post that you engage with a wrench to remove or install has more depth on the cornelius post vs. what I appear to have and what the firestone posts have, but the poppets between the two are completely different (and likely the threading is different, according to http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm)
(low res) picture of my posts here:

posts.jpg

Take a ball lock off one of your other kegs and see if it will screw on.

Simple, good idea - I was hoping someone could eyeball this who might have had experience with posts that looked like this - my other kegs are filled/pressurized and sanitized so I didn't want to disassemble a full keg, yet, but if nobody has any prior experience, I certainly will do so.

I went home and found that I had an empty 5-gallon Cornelius keg - I pulled the posts and poppets off of that keg and put them on the 3-gallon, and they fit fine and held pressure. I put the firestone-looking posts back on the 3-gallon and found they slowly leak through the poppets (as indicated by pressurizing the keg and spraying starsan over the top) - I'm guessing at this point that my used keg came with a hybrid firestone post with corny poppets and isn't really usable this way, though I'm surprised that the firestone post even threaded on just fine.

Those look like Firestone fittings, but Cornelius poppets to me.

Take a look at this website:

http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

You can probably find "Firestone" or "Cornelius" printed on the keg itself somewhere and that should tell you which fittings/poppets you ought to be using on it.

I found that site as well and used it as a reference. The keg is definitely a Cornelius, and the poppets as well. The posts look firestone, but, thread onto the posts just fine, and if I'm reading that dresselbrew.com page properly, I would expect the thread/size of the posts to be different. At this point I know that a corny post from my corny keg fits, so I'm going to see about getting new posts/poppets.

I have cornelius posts that look those too as well as firestone, but the firestone gas ones are not pointy star config like that, they are a slotted/notched version of the liquid one. But the corny posts I have are just like that.

The thread size for the posts are different for firestone (Gas- 9/16"-18 thread, Liq- 5/8"-18 thread) and are the same for cornelius (both are 19/32" - 18 thread).

I have cornelius posts that look those too as well as firestone, but the firestone gas ones are not pointy star config like that, they are a slotted/notched version of the liquid one. But the corny posts I have are just like that.

The thread size for the posts are different for firestone (Gas- 9/16"-18 thread, Liq- 5/8"-18 thread) and are the same for cornelius (both are 19/32" - 18 thread).

I've determined that the posts are definitely corny posts, despite looking like firestone posts. I've ordered a new set of corny posts/poppets, though I probably only need the gas side, I'd like them to have matching socket sizes, and I could only find a gas post in the smaller socket size.

I have a similar problem. I bought 4 single handle kegs from Pedalbiker. They say Cornelius on the front but the posts look like yours.

One of my posts must have been cross threaded at some point because the threads inside the post are stripped.

I didn't want to replace them with the wrong post. So because of this thread, now I won't.:mug:

Clifton said:
I have a similar problem. I bought 4 single handle kegs from Pedalbiker. They say Cornelius on the front but the posts look like yours.

One of my posts must have been cross threaded at some point because the threads inside the post are stripped.

I didn't want to replace them with the wrong post. So because of this thread, now I won't.:mug:

I ended up getting replacement corny posts from kegconnection.com - looked different from the original posts on this keg, but threaded properly and work great.

Back