Corny Keg Overhaul..... what to do???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapaddict

Reaction score
I just got my two new corny kegs this afternoon and after some cleaning on the outside to remove some of the grime, I want to rebuild them. Is there a standard procedure on how to remove the actual ball lock assembly from the keg and sanitize it in some fashion or am I just wasting my time? I just want to make sure I start off clean.

You definitely want to replace all the O-rings in your keg. It is very easy to do and worth the time and small expense. You can even replace the poppet's if you are so inclined.
From what I have learned, the o-rings can carry the taste and odor of the soda pop the corny contained. Especially bad if it contained root beer. Plus the O-rings might be old, dried out, and not seal well.
See this link for instructions and photos.
http://cruisenews.net/brewing/kegging/index.php

Remove the ball lock plugs and the tubes, clean them, then replace both gaskets on each plug. I do one plug at a time, because the plugs are not the same size and you don't want to put the gas plug on the liquid tube. The tubes can be cleaned by blowing a piece of string through the tube and pulling a small rag through.

Replace the o-ring on the lid at the same time. I don't replace a poppet (the check valve in the plug) unless it leaks.

The O-rings in my keg smelled like Pepsi when I got it. I tore it apart, cleaned everything thoroughly, and replaced all the O-rings. Works like a charm. The liquid out port was hard to unscrew due to the years of syrup build up. Just use a big wrench.

Use a 11/16 socket wrench to take the valves off. Soak the valves and all parts in a good safe cleaner. Throw out all of the o rings and replace them. Clean out the dip tubes and soak and gently scrub the inside of the keg.

If you have ball locks you can use a wrench without any difficulty, but if you have pin locks like me you will need a proper socket to get the plugs/post off. You can buy on for about $15 online or you can do what I did and buy a 13/16 inch deep socket and Dremel out the notches where the pins would go. You can us one socket and put four notches in it and use it on both the posts.

IGOR

AHammer16 said:
Use a 11/16 socket wrench to take the valves off. Soak the valves and all parts in a good safe cleaner. Throw out all of the o rings and replace them. Clean out the dip tubes and soak and gently scrub the inside of the keg.

It's 22 mm socket wrench! Gosh!:mad:

calman said:
It's 22 mm socket wrench! Gosh!:mad:

Well a 22mm wrench may just fit a 7/8 but I'd be surprised at a US manufacturer using metric.

All mine are manufactured by Cornelius and are ball lock and require a 7/8 wrench. What make are using 11/16? :drunk: .

I have 10 ball lock 5 gallon kegs and 1 pin lock most of them are 7/8" 3 of them are 11/16. All of them say Cornelius on them. I haven't checked the 10 - 3 gallons kegs I just got in. I hope it's one of the two.

DeejayDebi said:
I have 10 ball lock 5 gallon kegs and 1 pin lock most of them are 7/8" 3 of them are 11/16. All of them say Cornelius on them. I haven't checked the 10 - 3 gallons kegs I just got in. I hope it's one of the two.

Man, where did you get all the 3 gal ones??

If you find that the valves are hard to get off of the keg, put a broom handle thru the keg handles. Position your legs so that the broom handle rests against you.

This will keep the keg from spinning as you begin to unscrew the valves.

:mug:

Back