Corny keg fermentation, sounding and no chill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Walls

Reaction score
I’m looking into getting a 50l pin lock corny keg, converting it to ball locks and fermenting in it with a spunding valve. This is still hypothetical, but I’m wondering if I can put the boiling wort into the keg and apply no chill practice overnight and pitch the yeast at it when it hits temp? Any and all thoughts appreciated.
thanks folks.

I’m looking into getting a 50l pin lock corny keg, converting it to ball locks and fermenting in it with a spunding valve. This is still hypothetical, but I’m wondering if I can put the boiling wort into the keg and apply no chill practice overnight and pitch the yeast at it when it hits temp?

Yes, you could do that. But be aware that you're putting all of your kettle trub in the fermenter that way.

You can do that but it will also create a vacuum, I don’t know if it will be enough to suck in the keg but you will have to equalize the pressure with Co2 before you open it or you will suck in all kinds of oxygen.

I believe a vessel in which all headspace can be removed is most often used for no-chill as you don't want oxygen ingress while the wort is hot (oxidation happens way faster at hotter temps). I guess you could purge the keg headspace with C02, but why not just get a chiller?

I believe a vessel in which all headspace can be removed is most often used for no-chill as you don't want oxygen ingress while the wort is hot (oxidation happens way faster at hotter temps). I guess you could purge the keg headspace with C02, but why not just get a chiller?
I have a chiller and co2 tanks, but also have two very young kids and an early rise job. I’m not the night owl I used to be and I’m looking for ways to break up the brew day. I should have realized, but the answer above about the break trub going in to fermenter is enough reason to not pursue this avenue. Thanks though

I don't know. Is it? Can one blow out the trub through the beer dip tube a day later? I find that even with cooling the wort I'm still transferring a lot of sediment into the fermenter. It doesn't seem to hurt the beer. (This was Weissbeer, with a brew-in-the-bag attempt; sparging just didn't work as well, and I had 4" = 2 gallons of stuff sitting at the bottom of the carboy. Usually I have about 1" of sediment for 10" = 5 gallons of beer. The beer was great.)

I’m in the same boat as you with the young kids and early starts. I also do no chill brews, but I just leave my wort in my kettle over night with the lid on. I use a hop spyder to keep my IBUs where I want them. Following morning I pitch into my corny and put my spunding valve on.
so far I have not have any infections and I have pitched up to 4 batches on the same yeast cake.
I love fermenting in the corny. Transfers are so easy and my beers have been way better utilizing various amounts of pressure during fermentation. It’s a great process for breaking up your brew days.

Back