corny keg/draft tower questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted some advice. I've been searching the threads here, and my questions are not answered.

I want to start kegging, but I'd like to have a tower on my home bar. I was going to build or buy a Jockey box with a cooling plate, run my corny into the box, out the box and up to my tower. Anyone ever do this, or does anyone have any better ideas? Thanks up front. . . :confused:

Am I making this too complicated??? I guess it would be easier to just get a kegerator, however, I figured I would have the tower on the bar, and somehow figure out a cooling box that would fit under the bar. Suggestions and/or experience about this would be appreciated. I really don't know what the #ell I'm doing. . . . Thanks!!:cross:

Well, the questions would then be, how are you going to cool the box?

You could have a cooler with copper coil inside, fill the cooler with ice and run the beer from the keg, through the cooler, and then to the tower. However you then have disposal of water after each party and no full time cooling. It works for events, but not really an everday solution.

If you want a tower on your bar the best ways I have seen to do it is find a fridge that fits under your bar. Or if you are handy you could use insulated PVC pipes to run your beer lines from your fridge to the tower and put in a fan that blows the cold air down the pipe.:mug:

jackmoe said:
Well, the questions would then be, how are you going to cool the box?

You could have a cooler with copper coil inside, fill the cooler with ice and run the beer from the keg, through the cooler, and then to the tower. However you then have disposal of water after each party and no full time cooling. It works for events, but not really an everday solution.

Yeah, that was kinda what I was going to do. . .although, instead of a coil, I was going to use a large cooling plate, but cool with ice. . .although, you are right, then I have the hassles of emptying ice/water. . .I'm not sure I can find a fridge big enough to accomodate a keg. . .and fit under the bar. . .

Jsin said:
If you want a tower on your bar the best ways I have seen to do it is find a fridge that fits under your bar. Or if you are handy you could use insulated PVC pipes to run your beer lines from your fridge to the tower and put in a fan that blows the cold air down the pipe.:mug:

I'm handy, but not that handy. . .:fro:

You sure a barfridge wouldn't do the job? A pinlock keg is slightly shorter than a ball lock keg if you are worried about the height to fit in a small fridge. And if your run from the fridge to the tower is short enough then I don't see why it won't work. Insulating a short run of beer line and hiding it wouldn't look out of place.

boo boo said:
You sure a barfridge wouldn't do the job? A pinlock keg is slightly shorter than a ball lock keg if you are worried about the height to fit in a small fridge. And if your run from the fridge to the tower is short enough then I don't see why it won't work. Insulating a short run of beer line and hiding it wouldn't look out of place.
Barfridge. . you mean like a small, but larger than a dorm fridge type refrigerator?? I guess I've never really drilled holes in a fridge before, but if it would work. . . then I guess it'd be worth it.

Do you have a link or a source for such a fridge? I have a nice little fridge under my bar, but it is too short for a corny keg, and I have not yet found a larger one that would still fit under my bar (still have a little room, just haven't found an intermediate size). I've looked all over for such an item. :( :)

For the Jockey box idea you could use cooler cold packs instead of ice to cool your cold plate. You would still have to deal with the condensation water but not the larger quantities of water that ice would leave.
You could also store your cold plate in a small fridge under your bar. Call it an electric Jockey Box. Drill one hole for product in, one hole for product out and place the cold plate in the fridge.
If you drill holes in a small fridge make sure that where you are drilling doesn't have cooling runs (coils) in it.

I do have a Coleman electric cooler that I'm storing my grain and ingredients in (like a small, portable fridge). Perhaps I could get another, and convert it. . . then I wouldn't have to worry about cooling coils.

Thanks for all the great ideas so far. :D

boo boo said:
Sanyo has smaller fridges, check/google their site for their fridge dimensions.

If your talking about a kegerator from a sanyo fridge its the sanyo 4912 that is available now. I built one from a sanyo 4912. I was 179 bux at bestbuy. Here is the directions that I used. This is not my site but an example I found.

http://www.chaddickerson.com/gallery/kegerator

works great. You can fit a 5lb tank and 2 cornies. Its a real tight fit but it works.

MrSaLTy said:
If your talking about a kegerator from a sanyo fridge its the sanyo 4912 that is available now. I built one from a sanyo 4912. I was 179 bux at bestbuy. Here is the directions that I used. This is not my site but an example I found.

http://www.chaddickerson.com/gallery/kegerator

works great. You can fit a 5lb tank and 2 cornies. Its a real tight fit but it works.
Well, its not a kegerator per se, but I'm trying to rig up a draft system for my bar. . .the tower will go on my bar.

Thanks for the great link!!:rockin:

Well I'd think you could do exactly the same thing just put the fridge under the bar and the tower on top and add some insulated PVC pipe from the hole to the tower to let cool air into the tower. Maybe add a DC fan in the fridge to blow cold air up the tower.

If I ever get around to building a bar thats what I will do. All I have to do is disconnect the tower and add some PVC.

save headaches. If you go a kegerator route just get one that is pre-made. The sanyo/summits can hold up to 3 corny kegs or a half barrel. You are set for anything!

I don't know how active the craigslist site is near you, but you can get used ones for $250 - $400 that come with everything you need. You will spend at least $300 making your own kegerator from a dorm fridge and only be able to put a single keg in.

MrSaLTy said:
Well I'd think you could do exactly the same thing just put the fridge under the bar and the tower on top and add some insulated PVC pipe from the hole to the tower to let cool air into the tower. Maybe add a DC fan in the fridge to blow cold air up the tower.

Like making a "tower extension" and actually connecting the tower from the bar to the fridge?? The way my bar is set up, there would only be about 12 inches of line exposed if I didn't do it this way.

The problem is that beer lines that are not refrigerated will cause the beer to foam up like nobodys business. Plus your first 1/2 pint or so will be warm. You may have to experiment and see. If you had the tower directly over the hole in the top of the fridge you could have some PVC pipe to connect the two and have refrigerated air in it so it stays cool.

Ok, I hate to have started this thread in vain. . . but. . . since I initially started this, I went out, and bought a new house. . .complete with huge bar room and wet bar. :rockin: I still might do the ideas presented above, but my wife went out and bought a new fridge (full size), so now I'm thinking of building a triple tap beer fridge. . . . so i guess the new question is:

Where should I put the taps?? the door, or the side??? And do I have to worry about wiring or coils anywhere??

Yes you do have to worry about freon lines in it. Poping a freon line makes it a giant doorstop so I'd be real careful. Your best bet is the door as there are not usually lines in that. (to my knowledge) The door is where most people put their taps.

Back