corn tortillas in mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
I've got an excess of Mi Pueblo corn tortillas. do you think I could throw this in the mash? I don't have any particular style in mind right now. Just wondering if it might work. The ingredient list on the package is: "white corn cooked, lime, water, sodium propionate, cellulose gum and fumario acid to preserve freshness"

I suspect that would be a bit like adding flaked corn to the mash. The preservatives may be an issue for the yeast. A high pitching rate should help with that. Pitching onto the yeast cake from a previous batch is a trick I've heard for making cider from juice with preservatives.

I've got an excess of Mi Pueblo corn tortillas. do you think I could throw this in the mash? I don't have any particular style in mind right now. Just wondering if it might work. The ingredient list on the package is: "white corn cooked, lime, water, sodium propionate, cellulose gum and fumario acid to preserve freshness"

The lime in tortillas is calcium hydroxide, not the fruit. I don't know if that would affect the beer or not.

If it were me, I'd fry the spare tortillas and make some tortilla chips.

The lime in tortillas is calcium hydroxide, not the fruit. I don't know if that would affect the beer or not.

If it were me, I'd fry the spare tortillas and make some tortilla chips.

Or just freeze them. Or even better, make a few trays of enchiladas and freeze those.

that's tamales.

Actually he is probably referring to flour tortillas which have a large percentage of lard or shortening in them. I make them at home all the time. If you look at the ingredients list on the back of a store bought pack it's probably one of the first 3 ingredients after flour.

Corn I don't know about however.

Back