Fruit Flavorings/Purees that save cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasteofliam

Reaction score
I am tinkering with a recipe for a sour fruited IPA that I will be brewing this month, and I was looking at fruit options. I want to have watermelon & passionfruit but after looking through homebrew stores I am more or less looking for ways to save cost. The cans of puree that are recommended for use can cost upwards of $40 each, and I don't really find a watermelon one. Someone suggested using the Finest Call fruit puree mixes that are used for cocktails. The flavors may not taste super natural or fresh but it should work for what I'm going for. What I don't know is if these have anything that I don't want to put in my beer. (note would be adding the puree after primary fermentation, let it go for a week or 10 days then package)

Here is a list of ingredients on these things:
water, high fructose corn syrup, passion fruit puree, sugar, citric acid, xanthan gum, sodium citrate, sodium benzoate and and sodium metabisulfite, FD&C Yellow #5.

watermelon juice from concentrate water watermelon concentrate high fruticose corn syrup water sugar natural flaver malice acid watermelon puree xanthan gum sodium benzoate potassium sorbate sodium meta bisulfide fd&c red #40

Is this stuff no good for beer? If so, anyone have any suggestions that can help me save some bucks? With pandemic times sticking around I am trying to continue my brewing as planned but less expensive if possible.

If you're going to be kegging it shouldn't be the end of the world. If you plan on bottle conditioning the added sugars and preservatives (k-sorbate, na-meta, na-benzoate etc) may pose a problem.

Back