Corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrblessing1

Reaction score
In recently did my first 3 gallon Biab pale ale. How much corn sugar and water should I use to bottle tomorrow?

I used to bottle. Long ago. I never did the bottling bucket and mixing but that would provide exact results.

I would just add the sugar to each bottle instead of a bucket. 1/2 teaspoon table sugar produced decent results on average. 1 teaspoon you got some foam.
My buddy bottled my beer once when I was on a long trip away...he used a tablespoon....I lost a lot of bottles.

Use a calculator, and weigh the sugar, if possible. More accurate that way. You don't want bottle bombs.

Dissolve the sugar in a small amount of sanitized water, pour it into the empty bottling bucket, then rack the beer on top. You can give it a few gentle stirs to make sure the sugar is mixed evenly.

Dissolve the sugar in a small amount of sanitized water, pour it into the empty bottling bucket, then rack the beer on top. You can give it a few gentle stirs to make sure the sugar is mixed evenly.

I angle my tubing against the sidewall of the bucket when racking so that the beer flows in a circular motion like a whirlpool... gentle stirring built in to the racking

If you are using a bottling bucket the above advice is good. Realize that a three gallon recipe may not yield 3 gallons into the bottling bucket. When I use a bottling bucket I get all the beer into the bucket and then use a calculator to figure how much sugar to add. I use table sugar because it’s cheaper and easier to get than corn sugar. Use the online calculator based on what sugar you choose.

There is a lot of thinking these days that aims to avoid oxygen getting into your beer (oxidation). To avoid this consider priming bottles individually. This is of particular importance with highly hopped beers. Prime bottles individually and fill bottles directly from the fermenter. This is a good thread in that subject as well as this one.

Back