Corn sugar vs. Table sugar (cane) for prime

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomToro

Reaction score
I've been using table sugar for bottle priming. My store told me to try corn sugar for carbonating.

I do it the hard way and put 3/4 teaspoon in each 12oz bottle and it's been taking around 2 weeks to carbonate (I've checked a couple of batches).

Q: Do I use corn sugar exactly the same way that I use cane? Same amount?

Q: Does it carbonate any slower or faster than the table sugar I've been using?

Thanks,
Tom

Will work fine but I am not exactely sure of the amounts, but I know corn sugar isn't as granular and being so, you will not need as much.

I measure by weight,(4 oz) and use cane sugar for all my beer. See if you cantell the difference:mug:

I measure by weight,(4 oz) and use cane sugar for all my beer. See if you cantell the difference:mug:

I was unclear, if measuring by volume, ie 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, you'd use less. If by weight, you the same amount and there sould be no noticable differences.

I am sure there is a calculator somewhere but it works for me to use 4oz.
Corn sugar is expensive and cane works just the same.

I used 3/4c of cane and 3 cups of water, boil it then cool it then put into the bottom of the bottling bucket then transfer beer in bucket and bottle

corn sugar is cheap.You use a little less cane sugar compared to dextrose by volume.I use cane sugar only because i dont have dextrose currently.

Compared to regular table sugar?
$6 for 10lbs regular sugar at wal mart
$7.50 for 4 lbs at northern brewer

Not trying to argue but you know everyone wants more for their money

Both work fine, seems that most people use corn sugar. My local HBS (AHS) just hands out little priming packets of corn sugar (for 5 Gal batches) for free if you just ask them.

Gear101 said:
I used 3/4c of cane and 3 cups of water, boil it then cool it then put into the bottom of the bottling bucket then transfer beer in bucket and bottle

This is the bigger issue for the OP, in my opinion - why is s/he priming each bottle separately rather than priming the entire batch as Gear suggests above?

Both cane and corn are fine, try both and use what you like. But try priming the whole batch for best results.

This is the bigger issue for the OP, in my opinion - why is s/he priming each bottle separately rather than priming the entire batch as Gear suggests above?

Both cane and corn are fine, try both and use what you like. But try priming the whole batch for best results.

+1 Prime the whole batch!

Table sugar is 9.9% more efficient (attenuative) than corn sugar (source: beersmith). So switching to corn sugar requires 9.9% more of the amount of table sugar you were using. Check out How to Brew by John Palmer (about 12 bucks on amazon) for a load of useful tables.

That said, if i were you i wouldn't bother transitioning to a different sugar. Cane sugar attenuates very cleanly and is cheaper than corn sugar (plus you use less of it). I was talking to Chris White (white labs) about this, and there really isn't a flavor difference among DME, Corn Sugar, and Table (cane) sugar.

It's when you use stuff like honey and brown sugar that flavor will be affected (some times beneficially).

Cheers!

Corn sugar is kind of fluffy, like powdered sugar, isn't it? So you're better off measuring it by weight than volume, and stir it into the whole batch in a bottling bucket.

I just use cane sugar; it's cheap and easy to measure: One Domino sugar cube per 12 oz bottle, a level 3/4 tsp measuring spoon per 500ml bottle, two Domino cubes per 22oz bomber, two C&H sugar cubes per 1L plastic bottle. (It would be even easier to batch-prime in a bucket, but I bottle directly from the fermenter)

I use this calculator and it has never failed me : http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

According to my reading, it makes no difference whether you use corn/cane/DME carbonation-wise. You just have to use different amounts of each to hit your desired level of carbonation. Sounds like your LHBS is just trying to sell more corn sugar as brew shops are one of the only places you can find it for sale (that I know of at least).

jmust posted this in a simialr thread:

pound for pound, cane sugar has slightly for fermentables than dextrose/corn sugar

the reason dextrose is used in brewing is because it is SLIGHTLY easier for saccharomyces to ferment. Hence why its usually what comes with kits for priming the beer. Theoretically, it should prime slightly faster with dextrose

Back