Corn Sugar: Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sneaker

Reaction score
I just got a Brewer's Best Holiday Ale kit. It came with 1 lb. of corn sugar. From what I have read thus far, corn sugar is not a desirable ingredient.

So I am hesitant to start, but I am also hesitant to stray from the recipe.

Any thoughts/suggestion?

It's probably included for an alcohol boost, you can leave it out if you want but your OG will be lower than predicted.

If the recipe had a large portion of sugar compared to malt, that would be bad. Otherwise, I would say brew with it. (Make sure it isn't for priming; if it's one full pound, it isn't.)

I just brewed the BB Holiday Ale and moved it to secondary a week ago. I sampled what was in the thief and it tasted excellent already. I followed the directions to a T so I would say go for it.

Corn sugar (dextrose / glucose, same thing) is just going to ferment, produce alcohol and contribute nothing else to the beer. That's why it's also used for priming. Tables giving the amount of alcohol per given weight are available elsewhere. If it's present in a kit as an adjunct, as stated earlier it's strictly for an alcohol boost. The only reason you would leave it out is if you didn't want the extra ABV.

You could add cane sugar just as well as corn sugar. During the boil is fine, but if the beer is really big, some people hold back and add it to primary as fermenting dies down (you'd have to boil it in water first to sanitize, then cool).

I'm thinking about using both. Cane sugar for alcohol during the boil. Honey post boil for alcohol and flavor. Should that work?

Latest posts

Back