Corn recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benpen

Reaction score
I've searched the database and aren't finding many corn recipes. We have a local corn festival and I was wanting to brew some corn beer. Any suggestions?

Can you lager? I make a CAP lots of times. If you can't lager, make a cream ale.

There are plenty of cream ale recipes that call for corn. Everything from flaked corn, to cream corn, grits and even popcorn.

Corn is also a common adjunct i nmany lagers.

Check out my Kentucky Common and Cream Common. I just kegged up some Cream Common earlier actually.

Are you brewing this for the festival or are you getting corn at the festival? You can't just toss in some corn in the mash - it must be pre-gelatinized/cooked prior. Just a word of warning if you didn't know.

BTW, unless using flaked maize, you will need to do a cereal mash with the corn to convert the starch to sugar.

The cereal mash is very easy to do and it only adds a little extra time to your brew day depending on how long you want to boil. The process is simply to mash corn (or rice):malt at 3:1 (maybe 2:1 if you have 2-row) to ~153° F with enough water to avoid scorching. Hold it for 10 - 20 minutes (complete conversion isn't necessary) and then boil it until it's completely gelatinized.

There's a really good photo essay explaining how to do it here.

Latest posts

Back