Corn chip flavor in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilishprune

Reaction score
Random thought this morning:

On a trip to Boston recently I had a chance to visit the Harpoon brewery. They told us about how they used the same yeast strain for all of their beers, which I had expected. However, when I started to taste them I noticed something strange that all of them had in common: a strange corn-chip-like flavor at the finish. I looked at my fiance and she had a similar look on her face as I assume that I did when I tasted it, and she said that she also thought that it tasted like fritos! Also, it just so happens that pretty much all of Harpoon's beers are light (ie no stouts, they did have a dunkel but the taste was still here)

So I put this unsavory experience behind me and ventured to a local brewery (Carolina brewery to be precise), and taste a few of their beers. In their lighter beers I also noticed a corn chip flavor!

Now I'm not talking about a cooked corn flavor, like what you eat at a picnic or something, I'm talking about pure corn chip. Have any of you other guys experienced this? Is it a yeast thing or something else? Partially I ask because I don't want to have this flavor in my brews at all.

Back