Corking a bottle with a scissor jack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 337781

Reaction score
I've been using expensive swing-top bottles to bottle most of my wine, but I had an idea to try to reuse some of the bottles I get from the store. I thought about placing a wine bottle on top of a scissor jack and placing a solid piece of 2x4 on top of the cork (a #9) after I partially lodge it into the bottle. I would secure a ratchet strap around both the top of the 2x4 and the bottom of the scissor jack. Next, I would use channel locks to squeeze/compress the cork while cranking the scissor jack to lower the cork into the bottle. Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea? I figure it would work easier than some of the cheaper corking hand tools while also providing the ease of more expensive corkers. The only concern I have is that the glass bottle may shatter like a bomb, but I feel confident that the cork would deform first and it would be clear that the pressure is going onto the glass instead. I'll probably give this a try with some safety glasses, just wondering if anyone has ever tried anything similar.

That doesn't sound easier than a cheap hand corker, unless you've got three hands.

Or you could buy a floor corker on Amazon for about $70.
I couldn't agree more. I'm all about diy, but your idea seems like using a floor corker but with more steps.

I've been using expensive swing-top bottles to bottle most of my wine, but I had an idea to try to reuse some of the bottles I get from the store. I thought about placing a wine bottle on top of a scissor jack and placing a solid piece of 2x4 on top of the cork (a #9) after I partially lodge it into the bottle. I would secure a ratchet strap around both the top of the 2x4 and the bottom of the scissor jack. Next, I would use channel locks to squeeze/compress the cork while cranking the scissor jack to lower the cork into the bottle. Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea? I figure it would work easier than some of the cheaper corking hand tools while also providing the ease of more expensive corkers. The only concern I have is that the glass bottle may shatter like a bomb, but I feel confident that the cork would deform first and it would be clear that the pressure is going onto the glass instead. I'll probably give this a try with some safety glasses, just wondering if anyone has ever tried anything similar.
If you give this a go please film and post.

why not copy the design of bench crown cappers or modify one with a detachable thingy for wine corks............

I would be concerned about contaminating the cork while attempting to cork the bottle, #9's can be a bear to go in even with a floor corker and speed is of the essence during this final stage.

soak cork overnight in sulphite solution and make a slightly conical guide for the cork - cost has now exceeded commercially available stuff lol

http://Double Lever Hand Corker – F...Count Wine Corks (Red) https://a.co/d/aD8mkDB

The Portugese double lever hand corker available oa Amazon is $20. I’ve used one for years. It couldn’t be easier, and it hangs on a nail in the closet, close at hand, with my corks. I could have several bottles filled and corked before you get set up to do one. I like innovation, but this is worth the money.
5F9DEBDC-4710-4003-A9E2-54BF72E84364.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a plastic one that's even simpler, from my wine making days. Similar concept, with a tapered cylinder that squeezed the cork. But, instead of levers, it has a piston of sorts with a handle on top for you to lean on. Worked fine and I made a lot of wine with it. You're welcome to it if you're nearby me in the Chicago area, near Midway (sorta). I'm sure it was the cheapest thing around at the time, since I was in grad school. But hey, it works and it's yours if you'd like.

I have a plastic one that's even simpler, from my wine making days. Similar concept, with a tapered cylinder that squeezed the cork. But, instead of levers, it has a piston of sorts with a handle on top for you to lean on. Worked fine and I made a lot of wine with it.
Now, if he attached your hand corker to a hydraulic jack, he might just have something! 😂😂🤣

Last edited:
Weird, someone else's post in a thread I never wrote in is attributed to me. How does that happen?

Hydraulics defiantly over scissors jacks though, much smoother operation. [;

Last edited:
It sounds like you're well aware of the potential danger, but I'm hoping you have a "what the hell.." sense of humour and adventurism and please: If you do try this; Wear safety glasses and take a video for youtube. I imagine if you could calibrate it to very exact cranking lengths, it could possibly work, but you'd likely have a few dramatic tests to get there.
As said above though there are easier established tools and practices, but also; If you have a sense of fun, I'm sure a lot of us would like to see it wether it shatters dramatically or works.
:mug:

I like synthetic corks better than regular corks too. Whether they are Neocorks or Nomacorks or one of the others. They sanitize better, go in easier, and never dry out. I just had a mead I made around 2004 sealed with Neocorks and it was still fine.

I like synthetic corks better than regular corks too. Whether they are Neocorks or Nomacorks or one of the others. They sanitize better, go in easier, and never dry out. I just had a mead I made around 2004 sealed with Neocorks and it was still fine.
To anyone who is remotely interested in synthetic vs. natural corks, and wine closures in general, check out 'To Cork or Not To Cork' by George Taber. It's a quick, fun read with tons of insight into how this and other variables impact wine quality. I read a borrowed copy on a flight a dozen years ago and I still think about it.

Weird, someone else's post in a thread I never wrote in is attributed to me. How does that happen?

Hydraulics defiantly over scissors jacks though, much smoother operation. [;
I don’t know how that happened either, but thought if I left it, maybe someone would tell me what I did wrong.
I was having trouble with the link, too and couldn’t get rid of it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I don’t know how that happened either, but thought if I left it, maybe someone would tell me what I did wrong.
I was having trouble with the link, too and couldn’t get rid of it. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Not to worry, one of those defractions in the fabric of.... HBT ?. Perhaps a the prelude dimensional shift.., or something equally interesting.

Wait, what? Screw the discussion on the limb and digit reducing contraption.

Let’s hear about your 19 year old mead!

I soaked 10 #9's in sulfite water and I wasn't crazy about the color of the water so I am switching to synthetic cork just have to find a comparable size to #9

As a mechanic who's done janky things with hydraulic presses, this is not a good idea. Corks are fiddly and structurally unstable and your bottle is going to try to push out sideways from under the screwjack. You want something like the Portugese double lever hand corker pictured above that holds the bottle near where the cork is pushing in.

That said, I have one of those corkers that I tried to use with champagne bottles and plastic corks, and it's not compatible with the large knobs on plastic corks. Instead I pushed the plastic corks in by hand. I'd buy plastic corks and cork them by hand rather than trying to use natural corks.

I've also tried using generic swing-top lids, but bottles are horribly inconsistent, and I was having to tweak them to fit each bottle.

My top recommendation is to make friends with a bartender and get their used screw-top bottles. Don't bother with the fancy rubber-plug style bottles because pressure tries to pop the top back out.

Back