Copper Pipe/SS braid hybrid manifold question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarool

Reaction score
after reading about the pros and cons of using pipe and SS braid in a mashtun i thought i would do a hybrid to combine the best of both worlds. I made a 1/2" copper pipe skeleton with large cutouts to allow wort flow through the manifold. (I tried to do slits but it was too much of a pain with a hacksaw and dremel cutting wheel.)

I am having a hell of a time getting the braid over the pipe. I tried plenty of elbow grease, shoving the water tubing into one end of the pipe to lead with, etc.

Any suggestions? If it wont work, I may sacrifice a nylon grain bag and have removable "pipe condoms" sewn to go over the pipes with cut outs.

manifold top.jpg

manifold bottom.jpg

Holy crap dude, that was easier than doing a few slices with a hack saw?

Well, it probably took almost the same amount of time, but required less manual labor, I guess. I had some time to kill so I thought I'd play around a bit.

Btw, I used a diamond wheel to make the cutouts. So it was easier than a million little slits in that respect

If'n it were me, I'd have cut the million little slits and forget the braid. The reason it's used is because people don't want to cut holes in copper. I drilled my copper and even though it was a bunch of work, it functions beautifully.

But if you are set on using braid, then I think the only thing is to get a larger diameter. Or try soap?

Just wrap 2 or 3 layers cut from strips of a brown paper bag around the copper manifold.
Slide the braid over the paper tube and then pull the paper out. Don't forget to place your clamps first.

Should work like a charm.

I say forget the braid over copper and just go with the braid. Get a long SS braid hose, rip out the hose, and make a loop that goes around the bottom of the cooler. Attach each end of the braid to the ends of the copper tee where the copper goes through the cooler wall. Secure the braid to the copper with a plastic wire tie.

Been using a braid over copper for some time now.
Holds the braid in position while stirring and prevents crushing.
(Even though some will say these are not issues, it's easy security.)

MLT19.jpg

braid01.jpg

Back