Copper flavor for copper ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That subject line is a bit deceptive--I don't actually want the flavor of copper, but I am asking for advice on what grain (or whatever) could add the equivalent of the kind of zing or tang you get when you put a penny in your mouth (as one does). It's kind of hard to explain... I don't want it to taste like a penny, but just to have the same tangy effect on the tongue. And not a big effect, just a hint really. Any suggestions?

I am not familiar with the taste of a penny, so I am spitballing here...

Lactic souring would be a way to get some tanginess and sourness into your beer. This can be done a few ways.

1. Kettle souring. I would google it to get a rundown on it.
2. Partial souring of a portion of your wort. Take some of your wort, and let it naturally sour, boil it, and add it to your batch. People have done this with Guinness clones, to get that "Guinness Twang"
3. Adding lactic acid to give you that tangy/sour effect. This is more artificial, but may get you to where you need to go.
4. Using acid malt to decrease the pH during your hot side brew day. I know you can do this, but I do not know much about the process. Maybe some others can comment on this.

Maybe some lactic acid in a small amount. No idea how much or if the small amount would add the "tangy effect" without adding a sour taste. Acidulated malt could also possibly work but it might have to be added near the end of the mash.

If you have the ability to keg you can brew without doing anything about the tang then pour a glass and add 1 drop of lactic at a time till you get the effect without making it to sour. Once you are at the right taste you'll have to do some math to figure out how much for 5 gal.

Do you have a beer you’re trying to model this after or did you pop a penny in your mouth one day to arrive at your eureka moment?

Tartness from lactic acid or souring might be what you’re aiming for.

Copper or metallic taste in beer typically comes from high iron content in water.

Thanks for the suggestions! Maybe adding the lambic would work, but I don't think I've quite explained this how I meant to. I guess I'm not looking for a "tangy" flavor per se but more of a malty bite or sharpness? For instance, the owner of the LHBS suggested I add a little rye, and the recipe already calls for a little bit of roasted barley...

For comparison, a copper ale could simply be a mellow amber, but I'm thinking of something that's mellow at first but then has a kind of "sharp" bite or finish--although sharp isn't quite the word I mean. I wish I could articulate exactly what I mean, but I feel instinctively it should come from the grain bill. I'm just not sure what grain I'm looking for. Does any of that make sense? I'm sure it sounds extremely vague.

Look at red crystal malts, they can offer a bit of a metallic taste that I think you're describing. Carared in particular - I've had amber ales with that metallic taste to them and it's definitely from the crystal or roasted malts used for color

Look at red crystal malts, they can offer a bit of a metallic taste that I think you're describing. Carared in particular - I've had amber ales with that metallic taste to them and it's definitely from the crystal or roasted malts used for color
Another great suggestion. I think you put me on the right track. Thanks.

Back