Copper adhesive for ic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
Anyone have a immersion chiller that has the garden hose adapter attached directly to the end of the copper? I ask because I am about to buy one but it will not be soldered on to the ends but attached with a copper adhesive. I don't know the name of it yet but will fine out soon.

I am told it is just as strong as a flared fitting and just looks cleaner but I am not 100% sure since I have never heard about this. Anyone have any thoughts on this setup?

It is for a 3/8 x 50 ft chiller.

IMO, it would be much better to use a compression x pipe (NPT) thread adapter and screw the garden hose fitting (NPT x GH) onto that. That's the way I did it with mine. The adhesive may work, but as with Bobby, it goes against the grain with me.

There is a copper epoxy out. It has little bits of copper in it, supposedly makes it bond to copper better.

Never used it, so YMMV.

I found out it's called Copper Bond - Cold Weld Epoxy. I am having this made so maybe I should just ask them to use the compression fittings instead? They told me they have had no leaks ever before and it is suppose to be real strong.

I cut a washing machine hose in half, then attached each half to one end of my IC with hose clamps.

Works just fine.

Be weary of the copper bond expoxies and similar products when making an immersion chiller. It does not handle high temperatures and eventually deteriorates and leaks. It may last for a few brews, better to solder or use a compression fitting as others said.

I ended up having flared fittings put on. Thanks guys.

Back