Copenhagen - A beer geek's rough guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I'll bite. Spill it.

Got a room in a shared airbnb apartment (wife and I are out all day anyways and were on a pretty long vacation, so wanted to save money) in the middle of Copenhagen, great spot that was easy walking distance from everything. First evening we get there, meet our host and drop our bags off before heading out to War Pigs & Fermentoren. Think the host is a little odd, but use to strange encounters while traveling. Have a great time out, head back, pass out, wake up the next morning to explore the city. The shower for the apartment was next to the front door and as Im getting ready in the morning, I can hear a knocking at the front door. Sounds like it isnt getting answered and eventually stops. I finish up and head back to our room and started getting dressed. My wife and I are both in our underwear when the door is kicked in and some Danish police officers rush in to our room yelling in Danish. We tell them we are American, they tell us to come out into the living room. We ask to grab our passports and get dressed really quick.

Once dressed, we move out to the living room where the host and a couple other people are already on the sofas and chairs. One person is handcuffed already and my wife and I are freaking out a bit. The host and police are having a pretty heated discussion in Danish. They take our passports and start taking down our information and bring us into our bedroom and start questioning us about our travel itinerary. They realize we are just tourists in town for a few days and after a little bit, tell us we are free to go. We ask what is going on, they said they have received a tip that the apartment is being use to traffic drugs. We ask if we can lock up our room before we leave since all our of travel possessions are in it, they give the ok and we leave. We try to enjoy the city, go grab some food at Paprioen, etc., but are having a miserable time after that whole experience, so we decide to head back, grab our stuff, and find a hotel.

When we get back to the apartment, our host is nowhere to be found and no one seems to be there. We b line it to our room and find that it has been opened, our bed has been smashed in half, and all of our clothes and possessions are scattered all over them room. At this point, we hastily pack everything that we see of ours as fast as we can and book it to the nearest bar we can find with wifi to contact airbnb. That is my airbnb story.

Got a room in a shared airbnb apartment (wife and I are out all day anyways and were on a pretty long vacation, so wanted to save money) in the middle of Copenhagen, great spot that was easy walking distance from everything. First evening we get there, meet our host and drop our bags off before heading out to War Pigs & Fermentoren. Think the host is a little odd, but use to strange encounters while traveling. Have a great time out, head back, pass out, wake up the next morning to explore the city. The shower for the apartment was next to the front door and as Im getting ready in the morning, I can hear a knocking at the front door. Sounds like it isnt getting answered and eventually stops. I finish up and head back to our room and started getting dressed. My wife and I are both in our underwear when the door is kicked in and some Danish police officers rush in to our room yelling in Danish. We tell them we are American, they tell us to come out into the living room. We ask to grab our passports and get dressed really quick.

Once dressed, we move out to the living room where the host and a couple other people are already on the sofas and chairs. One person is handcuffed already and my wife and I are freaking out a bit. The host and police are having a pretty heated discussion in Danish. They take our passports and start taking down our information and bring us into our bedroom and start questioning us about our travel itinerary. They realize we are just tourists in town for a few days and after a little bit, tell us we are free to go. We ask what is going on, they said they have received a tip that the apartment is being use to traffic drugs. We ask if we can lock up our room before we leave since all our of travel possessions are in it, they give the ok and we leave. We try to enjoy the city, go grab some food at Paprioen, etc., but are having a miserable time after that whole experience, so we decide to head back, grab our stuff, and find a hotel.

When we get back to the apartment, our host is nowhere to be found and no one seems to be there. We b line it to our room and find that it has been opened, our bed has been smashed in half, and all of our clothes and possessions are scattered all over them room. At this point, we hastily pack everything that we see of ours as fast as we can and book it to the nearest bar we can find with wifi to contact airbnb. That is my airbnb story.

HOOLLLYY SHIITT

That is ****ed up!! Did Airbnb do anything for ya?

HOOLLLYY SHIITT

It was pretty ****ed up. There were a few minutes where I was trying to figure out if I use my call to call my parents or the US embassy.

That is ****ed up!! Did Airbnb do anything for ya?

They said they would put us up in another airbnb on them. Sat in that bar for a couple hours waiting for them to find a place, they never found anything, my wife and I had a reservation at Baest that night for dinner, so we had to bring our travel packs with us there. Still didnt have anything after dinner, so we took the only hotel room available in the city (there was a restaurant conference in town that weekend) for around $400/night and never saw a dime for our experience from airbnb. It almost ruined our vacation for us.

It was pretty ****ed up. There were a few minutes where I was trying to figure out if I use my call to call my parents or the US embassy.

They said they would put us up in another airbnb on them. Sat in that bar for a couple hours waiting for them to find a place, they never found anything, my wife and I had a reservation at Baest that night for dinner, so we had to bring our travel packs with us there. Still didnt have anything after dinner, so we took the only hotel room available in the city (there was a restaurant conference in town that weekend) for around $400/night and never saw a dime for our experience from airbnb. It almost ruined our vacation for us.
****in hell. Ok, got it. Airbnb's can potentially be problematic.

There are luggage places around the city where you can drop your gear. Not sure if they existed back when you travelled there. Avoids hauling luggage, etc.

That’s ****ing awful man. Glad you and your wife made it out ok, but I can understand how that experience could ruin an entire vacation.

Since my last post my wife and I realized a hotel might be our best option. Our next stop is Budapest, and we haven’t booked our flight yet. Turns out there’s only one non-stop flight the day we’re leaving and it’s at 8pm (which is fine, because we wanted to spend a good chunk of the day in Copenhagen anyway). So we’d have to try to make special arrangements with our hosts to leave our ****, because lugging it around all day is no longer an option at this stage of my life haha. Did not think about paying to store it though, as drinkypoo pointed out. Will have to consider that.

That’s ****ing awful man. Glad you and your wife made it out ok, but I can understand how that experience could ruin an entire vacation.

Since my last post my wife and I realized a hotel might be our best option. Our next stop is Budapest, and we haven’t booked our flight yet. Turns out there’s only one non-stop flight the day we’re leaving and it’s at 8pm (which is fine, because we wanted to spend a good chunk of the day in Copenhagen anyway). So we’d have to try to make special arrangements with our hosts to leave our ****, because lugging it around all day is no longer an option at this stage of my life haha. Did not think about paying to store it though, as drinkypoo pointed out. Will have to consider that.
Luggagehero.

I used the one at the hotel next to the train station. Very convenient.

Also, I'm heading to Budapest next month and will be there a couple nights. Looking for suggestions on what are must do's, eats, and drinks. Have fun!

Luggagehero.

I used the one at the hotel next to the train station. Very convenient.

Also, I'm heading to Budapest next month and will be there a couple nights. Looking for suggestions on what are must do's, eats, and drinks. Have fun!

We won’t be there until September so it looks like I’ll be getting pro-tips from you for Budapest in addition to Copenhagen :D

Gonna be in CPH first two weeks in September if anyone else is around. Thanks to macpete / DCLA and everyone on this tread kicking down knowledge. Just told the Wife that Airbnb horror story as she is looking for places. :eek:
Will be there 2-5th I believe. Would be down to meetup for a beer.

Was thinking of bringing something to share at one of the bars (maybe Himmeriget or Koelschip), but wasnt sure if that would be frowned upon.

Gonna be in CPH first two weeks in September if anyone else is around. Thanks to macpete / DCLA and everyone on this tread kicking down knowledge. Just told the Wife that Airbnb horror story as she is looking for places. :eek:
If you need an Airbnb recommendation I can provide one. Had an excellent experience in centralized location in CPH.

Will be there 2-5th I believe. Would be down to meetup for a beer.

Was thinking of bringing something to share at one of the bars (maybe Himmeriget or Koelschip), but wasnt sure if that would be frowned upon.
Just share Bokkereyder(s) at Koelschip. ;)

Consider searching for AirBnB's near Frederiksberg. We stayed at one that was a couple blocks from the Forum metro stop and stumbling distance from Himmeriget. It was a little quieter, still easy to get around, and quite a bit cheaper than the city center. Looks like the listing we stayed at is no longer active but there are plenty in the area.

Anyone around this coming Tuesday (9/4) night who wants to split some bottles at Koelschip or elsewhere? Also do they sell any glassware or merch there?

Last edited:
Anyone around this coming Tuesday (9/4) night who wants to split some bottles at Koelschip or elsewhere? Also do they sell any glassware or merch there?
Don’t remember glassware. But at a Mikkeller and friends next door they do.

Shirts at Koelschip are available (or were when I was there).

Interested to hear how you made out? The wife and I will be in CPH next week and that will definitely be one of our stops.

Interested to hear how you made out? The wife and I will be in CPH next week and that will definitely be one of our stops.
One night I visited John's Hot Dog and Deli as well as the original Mikkeller Bar. At the hot dog joint I had the original hot dog with a couple different relishes as a wild boar hot dog with Fredriksdral cherries in it along with some more relishes from their relish bar.

On my other night there I went to Himmeriget and split a bottle of 2011 A&T (for 550DK!?!?) which was insanely affordable and a 2018 Blabaer for 250DK, bumped into someone who I'd met a few years ago in San Francisco as well as nice guy from Norway so we split some bottles. Then from there went to RAMEN TO BÍIRU – NØRREBRO and had some ANGRY BJERGSØ YUZU which was incredible, per their website's description... Our original chicken broth, chili and yuzu (Japanese citrus fruit), kombu (Japanese seaweed) base, topped with soy-marinated pork belly, spring onions and wakame seaweed.
From there headed over to Koelschip and split two bottles of Bokker with the guys I met at Himmeriget and hobeawr along with his gf. The bottles there were 450DK for 750s, had the Zomersaison 2017 and Wijngaard (muscat & reisling) both of which were great (preference to the Zomersaison.) Bought myself a shirt there for 200DK, and while tempting to buy a Zalto Bokker glass for either 400 or 450DK, I passed as I know it would a huge hassle to get it home in one piece.

I hope that helps!

One night I visited John's Hot Dog and Deli as well as the original Mikkeller Bar. At the hot dog joint I had the original hot dog with a couple different relishes as a wild boar hot dog with Fredriksdral cherries in it along with some more relishes from their relish bar.

On my other night there I went to Himmeriget and split a bottle of 2011 A&T (for 550DK!?!?) which was insanely affordable and a 2018 Blabaer for 250DK, bumped into someone who I'd met a few years ago in San Francisco as well as nice guy from Norway so we split some bottles. Then from there went to RAMEN TO BÍIRU – NØRREBRO and had some ANGRY BJERGSØ YUZU which was incredible, per their website's description... Our original chicken broth, chili and yuzu (Japanese citrus fruit), kombu (Japanese seaweed) base, topped with soy-marinated pork belly, spring onions and wakame seaweed.
From there headed over to Koelschip and split two bottles of Bokker with the guys I met at Himmeriget and hobeawr along with his gf. The bottles there were 450DK for 750s, had the Zomersaison 2017 and Wijngaard (muscat & reisling) both of which were great (preference to the Zomersaison.) Bought myself a shirt there for 200DK, and while tempting to buy a Zalto Bokker glass for either 400 or 450DK, I passed as I know it would a huge hassle to get it home in one piece.

I hope that helps!

giphy.gif

I'll be in Copenhagen Oct 5-7 and really appreciate all the info in this thread. Amazing suggestions and helped me put together my map.

If anyone is around then and wants to split some bigger bottles (Bokkereyder? etc?) lemme know.

I also want to thank macpete and everyone else that contributed to this thread. My wife and I were in Copenhagen Sep 12-15 and hit up a decent amount of the spots recommended in this thread and they all were great.

Drank a Bokkereyder Wijngaard and 2011 Golden Blend at Koelschip before dinner at Relae one night while shooting the **** with the Aussie bartender and the other couple sitting at the bar. No crowd, nice and relaxed. Dinner was phenomenal - we sat in the bar area along the kitchen and did the pairing menu. Very glad I made reservations there after reading about it in this thread.

Tried ordering an A&T at Himmeriget but they came back and told me it had sold out - MKtheGeneral must’ve gotten the last one ;) so we had to settle for 2011 Framboos. Really roughing it I tell ya. We also spent a few hours in Vesterbro and hit up John’s Hot Dogs based on MKtheGeneral rec, then just grabbed a beer at Warpigs and sat outside.

Had a couple hours to kill on our last day before heading to the airport so we went to Charlie’s Bar based on macpete high praise for it and drank some great English cask ales with a few of the regulars there. Jim from Scotland had us laughing our asses off.

Anyway, I’ve rambled enough but have a blast nathanmiller! Copenhagen definitely lived up to the high expectations I had for it. Hope to make it back there someday.

apatrick17 I was the one that drank the last A&T...sorry! Can't let my dude MKtheGeneral take the fall for my actions. :)
Thank you for taking the fall on that one Joe!
I also want to thank macpete and everyone else that contributed to this thread. My wife and I were in Copenhagen Sep 12-15 and hit up a decent amount of the spots recommended in this thread and they all were great.

Drank a Bokkereyder Wijngaard and 2011 Golden Blend at Koelschip before dinner at Relae one night while shooting the **** with the Aussie bartender and the other couple sitting at the bar. No crowd, nice and relaxed. Dinner was phenomenal - we sat in the bar area along the kitchen and did the pairing menu. Very glad I made reservations there after reading about it in this thread.

Tried ordering an A&T at Himmeriget but they came back and told me it had sold out - MKtheGeneral must’ve gotten the last one ;) so we had to settle for 2011 Framboos. Really roughing it I tell ya. We also spent a few hours in Vesterbro and hit up John’s Hot Dogs based on MKtheGeneral rec, then just grabbed a beer at Warpigs and sat outside.

Had a couple hours to kill on our last day before heading to the airport so we went to Charlie’s Bar based on macpete high praise for it and drank some great English cask ales with a few of the regulars there. Jim from Scotland had us laughing our asses off.

Anyway, I’ve rambled enough but have a blast nathanmiller! Copenhagen definitely lived up to the high expectations I had for it. Hope to make it back there someday.
Sounds like an amazing time! So glad to hear you were able to enjoy almost all of it, and happy to hear you were able to benefit from some of my positive experiences!

Back