Copenhagen - A beer geek's rough guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would strongly recommend skipping Ølbutikken. To say the shelves were half-full would be extremely generous. Selection is almost non-existent. With no inventory and one tap line, it's hardly a "business" in any meaningful way.
That's unfortunate. When I went last September, they had just been cleaned out by the Blabaer event a few weeks prior and made it seem like they would regroup and restock the place. It sounds like it's in the same shape as before which was mostly barren.

This seems like the best place to post about my Copenhagen trip. macpete's list was very helpful in planning my trip. Himmeriget and Koelschip are must-visits. Great bottle lists and reasonable prices. At Himmeriget it was funny seeing the locals go crazy for a Monkish hazy IPA on tap while I was obsessing over the bottle list.

I would strongly recommend skipping Ølbutikken. To say the shelves were half-full would be extremely generous. Selection is almost non-existent. With no inventory and one tap line, it's hardly a "business" in any meaningful way. Kihoskh, on the other hand, was very nice: a well-curated selection with good prices. As noted by others, the bulk of the bottles are downstairs.

There's no Uber or comparable service, but biking and walking will get you just about everywhere you'd want to go.
This might explain the empty shelves at Ølbutikken. Also I've used uber a bunch in Copenhagen.

Also I've used uber a bunch in Copenhagen.
Uber used to be in Copenhagen until very recently (https://goo.gl/URebPt). A court order last year and impending regulations effectively made Uber illegal. Having just been in Copenhagen this past weekend, I can say confidently that Uber is totally unavailable.

Currently looking at restaurants for the couple of days that I'll be in CPH as the following: Host, Restaurant Koefoed, Amass, 108, and Sollerod Kro. The last one is on there because I wanted to get an older Danish dining experience but a friend who lives there is pushing Baest over it. Any thoughts on current selection of reservations?

Currently looking at restaurants for the couple of days that I'll be in CPH as the following: Host, Restaurant Koefoed, Amass, 108, and Sollerod Kro. The last one is on there because I wanted to get an older Danish dining experience but a friend who lives there is pushing Baest over it. Any thoughts on current selection of reservations?
baest works for lunch or just to go buy to share a pizza

My wife and I are Copenhagen bound at the end of August. I would love to meet up with some locals for some food and drinks to learn about the area, culture, and history of Denmark. Then onto Norway and Sweden if there are any other takers.

My wife and I are Copenhagen bound at the end of August. I would love to meet up with some locals for some food and drinks to learn about the area, culture, and history of Denmark. Then onto Norway and Sweden if there are any other takers.
Let me know if/when/where you're coming to Sweden!
I live a bit off the beaten track but may be able to come to Stockholm/Göteborg/Malmö.

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Once again I have to jump over to Paris for meetings (right after Zwanze day). We have a facility in Ahus that I may visit following those meetings. Makes sense to tackle Copenhagen for a couple nights. Working on logistics and am excited at the possibilities. Bummer about War Pigs BBQ execution.

I need a good line on Frederiksdal cherry wine bottles TO GO ;)

Once again I have to jump over to Paris for meetings (right after Zwanze day). We have a facility in Ahus that I may visit following those meetings. Makes sense to tackle Copenhagen for a couple nights. Working on logistics and am excited at the possibilities. Bummer about War Pigs BBQ execution.

FWIW - I had a friend check out the BBQ at War Pigs and they were impressed. I wish I had tried it to really give an honest opinion but maybe it's not as bad as it was made out to be or maybe it has improved.

Let me know if/when/where you're coming to Sweden!
I live a bit off the beaten track but may be able to come to Stockholm/Göteborg/Malmö.
Sounds great! I'll shoot you a PM. We might be in Göteborg or Malmö, still planning, but I like to get off the beaten path to see how life is outside of the cities. We'll be hiking around Flam, Norway hiking so if there is a smaller town near you we can look to add it to the list. There is also a small chance I will be staying in Sweden for some extra days for work or going to Open Brewery days at 3F so there is another chance to meet up. Let me know if there are some US beers you're looking for.

Ahus is guess is Århus? :) If you arent familiar with the city, there are good beer places aswell, Mikkeller, Mikkeller Bottle shop, Fermentoren, Ølsnedkeren, Flask(BottleShop), Hantwerk (Local Brewpub), FairBar(Bar). Cheers!

Will be in Copenhagen tomorrow through Friday if anyone else is around and wants to share bottles!

also-is Olbuttiken closed now? Their Facebook is a bit unclear.

Last edited:
Will be in Copenhagen tomorrow through Friday if anyone else is around and wants to share bottles!

also-is Olbuttiken closed now? Their Facebook is a bit unclear.

If it is bottles shops you're looking for, you should go to kihoskh close to instead, has been way better the past years.

I'll be in Copenhagen the 24th & 25th of September. I plan on splurging on lambic. My wife drinks like a bird and I don't want to get an ulcer. If anyone wants to share some bottles let me know!

Also a random question... reading the customs for Stockholm I couldn't quite tell if I'll run into issues checking beer I buy while in Copenhagen. I'm heading there afterwards. Can anyone give me any feedback on that?

I'll be in Copenhagen the 24th & 25th of September. I plan on splurging on lambic. My wife drinks like a bird and I don't want to get an ulcer. If anyone wants to share some bottles let me know!

Also a random question... reading the customs for Stockholm I couldn't quite tell if I'll run into issues checking beer I buy while in Copenhagen. I'm heading there afterwards. Can anyone give me any feedback on that?
You can bring anything within EU that is for personal consumption. So no limits.

Heading to Copenhagen for fews days as part of a bigger trip this Friday. This thread was super helpful in planning. Excited for koelschip, himmeriget, warpigs, BRUS, Mikkeller and friends, freetown christiania. Found out Copenhagen street food is closed. Anything else similar to that style in copenhagen?

Also any recommendations on the culture side of things? Heading to Paris and Amsterdam also on this trip so will definitely be going to museums, but wanted to see if there was any in copenhagen not to miss.

Also any recommendations on the culture side of things? Heading to Paris and Amsterdam also on this trip so will definitely be going to museums, but wanted to see if there was any in copenhagen not to miss.
I'm also interested in this. Ended up not going to Ahus last trip to Paris and thereby no Copenhagen.
BUT... I am for sure going in May as I have work at our Ahus facility.
Planning on arriving early Sat in Copenhagen and hanging out for the day and all Sunday before riding over to Sweden.

Ahus is guess is Århus? :) If you arent familiar with the city, there are good beer places aswell, Mikkeller, Mikkeller Bottle shop, Fermentoren, Ølsnedkeren, Flask(BottleShop), Hantwerk (Local Brewpub), FairBar(Bar). Cheers!
Sorry, no. Ahus in Sweden.

I'm also interested in this. Ended up not going to Ahus last trip to Paris and thereby no Copenhagen.
BUT... I am for sure going in May as I have work at our Ahus facility.
Planning on arriving early Sat in Copenhagen and hanging out for the day and all Sunday before riding over to Sweden.

Sorry, no. Ahus in Sweden.
Åhus is a weird place to have an office. Does your company make, like, fishing lures or something else obscure?

Dennis Vansant (formerly the guy from Koelschip) is opening his own bar in May. Opening weeks events look suitably ridiculous.

Thanks for this.
Will-Ferrell-Happy-Excited.gif

Great thread. Will be visiting Malmö, Sweden in July and plan on ducking over to Copenhagen for a day. I'll try to post closer to the date to see if anybody would like to meet up for a few beers! Very interested in Koelschip as far as beer goes. Foodwise, curious about Hija de Sanchez and Ramen To Bíiru. Cheers!

Great thread. Will be visiting Malmö, Sweden in July and plan on ducking over to Copenhagen for a day. I'll try to post closer to the date to see if anybody would like to meet up for a few beers! Very interested in Koelschip as far as beer goes. Foodwise, curious about Hija de Sanchez and Ramen To Bíiru. Cheers!
Try Slurp Ramen, they are among the best in Europe. I've not been very impressed by Ramen to Biiru (uneven) and Hija de Sanchez myself, particularly hija de sanchez was very mediocre and overpriced, there are lots of good food in Copenhagen though

Try Slurp Ramen, they are among the best in Europe. I've not been very impressed by Ramen to Biiru (uneven) and Hija de Sanchez myself, particularly hija de sanchez was very mediocre and overpriced, there are lots of good food in Copenhagen though

Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably reach out once it gets closer to my trip for more info on food/beer/coffee/records.

Not beer/food related, but I figured I'd post here to see how people have fared using AirBnB in Copenhagen. My wife and I have used it a lot with great success, but never outside the states. We'll be there for 3-4 nights in September. Also any recommendations on neighborhoods, etc. would be appreciated.

Not beer/food related, but I figured I'd post here to see how people have fared using AirBnB in Copenhagen. My wife and I have used it a lot with great success, but never outside the states. We'll be there for 3-4 nights in September. Also any recommendations on neighborhoods, etc. would be appreciated.
Just got home from CPH.
Airbnb used for a couple nights and it was great. Only issue was A/C and lack thereof. It was unseasonably warm so windows on to street had to be open. But it was a quiet neighbourhood so. I was staying in the east part of Centrum (middle of city).
City is walkable but renting bikes is a great way to go.
3-4 nights will allow you to do a lot. I was there for 2 and hit everything I wanted to, even if it was only briefly.

I really dug every neighbourhood. They were all safe and all had good beer resources.

Check out this beer map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1yeqFFieweACoSR8syBG1SmQJpBc&ll=55.68277379247438,12.563378118875335&z=13

A couple highlights were:
- Mikkeller Baghaven (their barrel and sour outfit) it’s a ways out of the way from most neighbourhoods but great spot to sit outside and very cool area of repurposed industrial complexes. I went there after dinner at Barr. Then walked through Christiania after. Fun stop.
- Koelschip - Mikkeller’s lambic stop. Lots of Bokkereyder available.
- Fermentoren - nice taps, nice vibe, great staff. Close to War Pigs if you are looking to hit that up.
- Brus - To Ol’s brewpub. Good food, great taps. Bottle shop on site.
- 1402 - new Belgian pub. Lambic handpulls, extensive cellar. Dennis knows his stuff.
- Himmeriget - bit let down. Taps were ok. Crapped out on Blaeber bottles for on site. Noisy and busy street. Just an odd location.

Just got home from CPH.
Airbnb used for a couple nights and it was great. Only issue was A/C and lack thereof. It was unseasonably warm so windows on to street had to be open. But it was a quiet neighbourhood so. I was staying in the east part of Centrum (middle of city).
3-4 nights will allow you to do a lot. I was there for 2 and hit everything I wanted to, even if it was only briefly.

I really dug every neighbourhood. They were all safe and all had good beer resources.

Check out this beer map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1yeqFFieweACoSR8syBG1SmQJpBc&ll=55.68277379247438,12.563378118875335&z=13

- Mikkeller Baghaven (their barrel and sour outfit) it’s a ways out of the way from most neighbourhoods but great spot to sit outside and very cool area of repurposed industrial complexes. I went there after dinner at Barr. Then walked through Christiania after. Fun stop.
- Fermentoren - nice taps, nice vibe, great staff. Close to War Pigs if you are looking to hit that up.
- 1402 - new Belgian pub. Lambic handpulls, extensive cellar. Dennis knows his stuff.
- Himmeriget - bit let down. Taps were ok. Crapped out on Blaeber bottles for on site. Noisy and busy street. Just an odd location.

Great info - thanks man!

Just got home from CPH.

Check out this beer map:

I'm going to be there on Tuesday so this is really helpful. Thanks so much.

Ask Dunt about his Copenhagen AirBnB. Story never gets old.

Back