Coors light clone i created ended up being very awesome....take a look

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm new to home brewing. When you say you topped it off to 5gal is this from the 2.5 gal origional or did you make 2 seperate batches and add them together? Also did you top it off when transferring to the secondary?

If you don't have a large enough pot to boil a full five gallons, then yes you will have to top it off but with only with water. Boil the FULL recipe with all the ingredients in your pot (2.5 gallons.) Then top it off with just water. Ideally you want to purify the top off water first. Boiling it for 15 minutes and then allowing it to cool should do it.

As for the secondary, some people top off but realize that it will somewhat dilute your beer. You may be better off not topping off and yielding a smaller quantity but higher quality beer.

Last edited:
I brewed this about 10 days ago and this morning before work I racked it to secondary for lagering. I took a hydrometer sample and after getting a 1.008 FG I poured it in to a tiny sample glass.

My tasting notes: despite it being just 10 days out and having not done a true lager yet, there's not a whole lot of flavor there. No hop flavor at all that I could detect. The grain flavor is very light to almost non-exsistant. Very little in the way of yeast flavor as well.

I feel confident in saying that my wife's friends, some of my cousins and my uncles and aunts will love this stuff and probably drink the entire five gallon during our baby announcement party next month. I actually brewed the night before she took a pregnancy test and found out she's pregnant with our first child. So yeah. I will always think of this beer as the last beer I brewed before we found out about the baby.

I brewed this about 10 days ago and this morning before work I racked it to secondary for lagering. I took a hydrometer sample and after getting a 1.008 FG I poured it in to a tiny sample glass.

My tasting notes: despite it being just 10 days out and having not done a true lager yet, there's not a whole lot of flavor there. No hop flavor at all that I could detect. The grain flavor is very light to almost non-exsistant. Very little in the way of yeast flavor as well.

I feel confident in saying that my wife's friends, some of my cousins and my uncles and aunts will love this stuff and probably drink the entire five gallon during our baby announcement party next month. I actually brewed the night before she took a pregnancy test and found out she's pregnant with our first child. So yeah. I will always think of this beer as the last beer I brewed before we found out about the baby.

Congrats on the baby to come! Question for ya, did you end up doing what the OP did on his second batch? Ex: Splitting up the malt, 1/2 in beginning, 1/2 in the end?

I don't have a controlled environment to lager at such a low temperature. What would the major difference in taste be if I just fermented at the 70 degree range then bottled after ferm, instead of 2nd ferm/lagering at 36 degrees?

Congrats on the baby to come! Question for ya, did you end up doing what the OP did on his second batch? Ex: Splitting up the malt, 1/2 in beginning, 1/2 in the end?

I don't have a controlled environment to lager at such a low temperature. What would the major difference in taste be if I just fermented at the 70 degree range then bottled after ferm, instead of 2nd ferm/lagering at 36 degrees?

No, I just put it all in when it got to a boil and then added the hops when the boil was under control. I doubt that the hour long boil for the entire thing affected the color very much. At least not enough for me to care about adding an extra step. I'm pretty lazy about my brewing sometimes. I chilled it down to 55 F and then pitched the yeast. I used a kegrator fridge that I had no beer ready to keg for it, just used a temp controller to keep it around 52 F and it worked out pretty well.

If you want to read up on S-23 at Ale temps, here ya go: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=323269

You could also consider using a kölsch yeast at ale temps.

Pardon me for asking....but why would you clone Coors anything with all the great recipes for any REAL beer that actually has flavor and decent ABV? IMO, Coors tastes like Alka-Seltzer or at best, charged water.

I like the idea of being able to brew a 5 gal batch in a few hours. I also think a Kolsch ale yeast would be a good way to go from brewing to drinking in the least amount of time with a lageresque flavor profile. I usually brew more than I can drink and have kegs waiting for space sitting in the lager fridge, both ales and lagers do well with cold storage. :D

Pardon me for asking....but why would you clone Coors anything with all the great recipes for any REAL beer that actually has flavor and decent ABV? IMO, Coors tastes like Alka-Seltzer or at best, charged water.

You know, a lot of people have different tastes. BMC Is made specifically to be a low to moderately-low abv, with little bitterness, little malt flavor, and exceptionally crisp and most of all, easy to drink. Pretty much the opposite of wine, right? something that not only everyone can agree on, but something that is easy to drink on a summer day, that wont get you completely hammered if you have too many.

Do I like it? no, I don't like BMC anymore. But before I started getting into craft beer Its practically all I drank. And even then, I didn't go straight from bud light to a 150 IBU IPA. My wife is just now after me doing this hobby for a year, starting to enjoy stuff other than american super-light lager. Shes really enjoying the octoberfests and cream ales.

The other day I caught her like 5 times drinking out of my Dogfish 90 minute when I would look away. That kinda sucks because I'm about to bottle a 2 row smash that I purposely under-hopped so we could enjoy a homebrew together, from the samples, its really easy drinking.

Don't be so quick to judge or condescend someone for what they brew.

I'd like to add to the HBT unwritten rule book.

Don't be an unprovoked ****** to a fellow brewer...just sayin' :D

Beer geeks to BMC chuggers, we all get sneered at by wine snobs!!! We gotta stick together :tank:

I have a couple reasons for making this stuff.

I like having homebrew around for the light beer drinking friends and relatives. Usually I have a Blue Moon clone on tap, which lately I've found as boring as Light Lagers, but I wanted something new and I stumbled upon this recipe during a brew day. With no mashing and no speciality grains and dry yeast, I dove in to it, making it during a night when my wife was out with a friend from her old job.

Second. I like trying something different. I usually stick to a few different styles because I like what I like. Pale Ales with mostly cascade hops, Dry Irish Stouts, Hefeweizen, Nut Brown Ale, Robust Porters, IPAs, hoppy blonde Ales and a few others I can't remember off hand. But sometimes I wanna do something I haven't done before to see how it turns out and to see if I like it or not. I tried my hand at a Kentucky Common last winter, I didn't like it but the guys in my homebrew club thought it was okay.

Finally, the worst that could happen is that nobody likes this and I have to drink a bland, boring five gallons of 4.5% beer over the next six months or whatever.

You know, a lot of people have different tastes. BMC Is made specifically to be a low to moderately-low abv, with little bitterness, little malt flavor, and exceptionally crisp and most of all, easy to drink. Pretty much the opposite of wine, right? something that not only everyone can agree on, but something that is easy to drink on a summer day, that wont get you completely hammered if you have too many.

Do I like it? no, I don't like BMC anymore. But before I started getting into craft beer Its practically all I drank. And even then, I didn't go straight from bud light to a 150 IBU IPA. My wife is just now after me doing this hobby for a year, starting to enjoy stuff other than american super-light lager. Shes really enjoying the octoberfests and cream ales.

The other day I caught her like 5 times drinking out of my Dogfish 90 minute when I would look away. That kinda sucks because I'm about to bottle a 2 row smash that I purposely under-hopped so we could enjoy a homebrew together, from the samples, its really easy drinking.

Don't be so quick to judge or condescend someone for what they brew.

Not judging at all......if you read my first sentence, I was simply asking "why". Btw, before craft brew arrived on the scene (at age 64) I consumed tons of Coors and Budweiser. I'm just curious, why would someone want to brew something as bland as Coors? Why not just buy a 12-pack and keep it on hand for when visitors stop by?

Because not everything has to be a 7+ percent hop-bomb IPA? He wanted to, that's why.

Because not everything has to be a 7+ percent hop-bomb IPA? He wanted to, that's why.

Oooo, touched a nerve, eh? Why don't you let the OP answer for himself? FWIW, I don't like hoppy beer.....personally, I like dark beers such as brown ales, stouts and porters. Sheesh, get a grip grasshopper :mug:

Oooo, touched a nerve, eh? Why don't you let the OP answer for himself? FWIW, I don't like hoppy beer.....personally, I like dark beers such as brown ales, stouts and porters. Sheesh, get a grip grasshopper :mug:

Fine, if you don't like it, then don't brew it. But #1 rule of HBT is "don't be a dick". If you don't have something nice or helpful to say, there is no need to post at all on a thread. Just move along.

By the way, a light lager is probably one of the toughest style to brew and make well. It's not to your taste, but that's no reason to criticize someone else brewing it.

Glad to hear some success has come to those who decided to take a stab at this. To the nay sayer(s), if I want to ferment alpaca urine, then that's what I'll do. It's my life, my brew, YOLO!

Cheers ��

I see absolutely nothing wrong with doing a homebrew that's below 4% ABV and on the light SRM side. One of my best beers was a blonde ale experiment using WLP001 with lower temps and an extended mash. It ended up a wee bit hoppy, clarified better than expected, and had more body and flavor than the Coors Banquet off the shelf.
I gave a sixer away out of four gallons and it's a beer worth doing again....matter of fact, it was a variation of Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde recipe subbed with Cascade.

I brew the same beer all the time, I'm drinking one right now, the great thing about lower alcohol beers is you don't really get drunk just a lite buzz through the night, I use cluster for my hops in mine and its been reported as having a pear taste. I think its just perfect for an easy drinking after dinner beer

By the way, a light lager is probably one of the toughest style to brew and make well. It's not to your taste, but that's no reason to criticize someone else brewing it.

this. lots of hops and specialty grains can cover up all kinds of brewing flaws. not to say those beers are 'bad' but brewing up a clean, crisp, light lager with no off-flavors is an acquired skill.

I would really like to try this but don't really know how to. I make beer from full wort kits so I'm not boiling anything but the liquid yeast starter. I don't have any equipment that is used for a full grain recipe. Can this be done with just a large pot on a stove? Do I have to cool it down rapidly after the boil?

yes, you can. fill 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket with good clean water and freeze it then make a concentrated wart with only 3 gallons of extract and rice syrup solids, add your hops to the cold water, boil for 30 minutes and dump the hot wort onto the frozen water, then stir until thawed

Back to the OP, I can't imagine why anyone would want to clone Coors Light??? I am also not surprised that he made something that his friends liked more. It would not be hard to improve on Coors Light.

Absolutely no doubt about that. Colors Light is a minimalist beer that would improve a lot with only minor additions. More isn't necessarily better but in this case, yes. :). More color, more aroma in malt and hops would help but that's why tweaking a recipe is so much fun.

Good to see "some" have gotten over the BMC bashing. They're a really hard beer to make. They're also the best selling beer in the country. It might not be your thing but bashing it only makes people look like a jackass....if I could make an exact clone I'd be a happy camper. Questioning why someone would make a beer THEY like is just silly

So many beers, so little time. It's a big reason why I started with wine and decided to do light ales instead. A faster turn-around time means more, sooner.
Besides, brewing lighter low-gravity beers can be fun. Adjustments can be more obvious when you tweak something from a baseline bland, especially if you're adjusting for color and clarity. It's a most excellent way to experiment and learn how certain malts and yeasts will affect your brew's character.

No one in this thread is asking for opinions what makes a "good" or bad beer. If you want to post to simply opine of someone's taste, then you're in the wrong place.

I may not like stouts, but I don't enter a thread about "How do I make Guiness" and then offer my unsolicited opinion on whether such a beer deserves to be made or cloned.

We all want to brew what we like, or our family or friends like. We really don't know someone to say "why would you make such a crappy beer?" or other things. No one is forcing anyone to reply to any particularly thread. If your opinion is that you wouldn't make such a beer- great. Then don't bother posting in the thread.

I can't believe I have to tell people to keep on topic in a brewing thread. Off topic posts will be removed. If it continues, in spite of being asked to stop, members may be uninvited to continue in this forum.

No one in this thread is asking for opinions what makes a "good" or bad beer. If you want to post to simply opine of someone's taste, then you're in the wrong place.

I may not like stouts, but I don't enter a thread about "How do I make Guiness" and then offer my unsolicited opinion on whether such a beer deserves to be made or cloned.

We all want to brew what we like, or our family or friends like. We really don't know someone to say "why would you make such a crappy beer?" or other things. No one is forcing anyone to reply to any particularly thread. If your opinion is that you wouldn't make such a beer- great. Then don't bother posting in the thread.

I can't believe I have to tell people to keep on topic in a brewing thread. Off topic posts will be removed. If it continues, in spite of being asked to stop, members may be uninvited to continue in this forum.

Ganggang!

Thanks for the recipe, I look forward to giving it a try at some point. I see a lot of recipes that call for rice and some that call for corn. I like the usage of both.

I usually rely on my municipal water company and a PÜR filter for my Coors Light clones. I have it on tap in every faucet in my home. I even have it connected to my showers. [emoji28]

I cannot find the rice syrup solids locally, can I just add an extra 1 lb to the corn sugar? Doing so will it throw an odd flavor from to much corn sugar?

FROM THIS

- Munton's Extra Light DME 3 lbs.

- Rice Syrup Solids 1 lb

- Corn Sugar 1 lb

- 1oz Saaz Hops

- Saflager S-23

TO THIS

- Munton's Extra Light DME 3 lbs.

- Corn Sugar 2 lb

- 1oz Saaz Hops

- Saflager S-23

A 5 gallon batch with 3 pounds of extra light DME? I would say you quadrupled the OG and flavor of coors lite. If you want to turn that into a bud clone, add a few cups up dish soap.

Oh crap. Here comes the haters for me saying that. I'm just kidding. Jeaze :)

Besides... I'm sure it tastes much better than the 900 IBU turpentine flavored IPA fad

Ok thanks, I think I just might learn how to do a partial mash with rice flakes or something. Back to reading lol thanks again!!!

you need to mash it not steep it

I've always found this claim to be odd. Not to start an argument, or derail the thread, but isn't BIAB a form of steeping, yet we call it mashing?

I could be totally wrong here, but I don't get why people think the grains know they're in 154° F water because they're being steeped or if they're in 154° F water because they're being mashed. Either they're sitting in hot water or they aren't. Back when I was extract brewing, I got super bugged by someone telling me I needed to mash a Munich malt addition and not steep it. I thought, "Maybe I just won't tell the grains they're being steeped for an hour at 154° F, and they'll think they're being mashed...."

Are people assuming that steeping means the grains are clumped together in a tight muslin sack, and mashed grains are more separated and free-floating? That's about the only difference I can think of between the two. -or is the assumption that people don't mill their steeping grains? I feel so dumb for not understanding this. :confused:

I've always found this claim to be odd. Not to start an argument, or derail the thread, but isn't BIAB a form of steeping, yet we call it mashing?

I could be totally wrong here, but I don't get why people think the grains know they're in 154° F water because they're being steeped or if they're in 154° F water because they're being mashed. Either they're sitting in hot water or they aren't. Back when I was extract brewing, I got super bugged by someone telling me I needed to mash a Munich malt addition and not steep it. I thought, "Maybe I just won't tell the grains they're being steeped for an hour at 154° F, and they'll think they're being mashed...."

Are people assuming that steeping means the grains are clumped together in a tight muslin sack, and mashed grains are more separated and free-floating? That's about the only difference I can think of between the two. -or is the assumption that people don't mill their steeping grains? I feel so dumb for not understanding this. :confused:

No problem, the difference is that mashing involves mixing adjuncts with say a highly modified malt like 2-row which is loaded with enzymes that will convert starches in the rice into a viable food for yeast

Steeping only acts to extract color, flavor or sugars that are already in the adjunct, say like crystal malts because they were already converted before or by being roasted/toasted etc etc

Hopefully my wording is correct but thats the gist of it

Edit: also you mentioned munich, that grain is already “malted”, by steeping you would essentially be performing a mini mash because munich has enough enzymes to self convert where as flaked corn, wheat or rice do not, they are “adjuncts” not malt

Back