Cooper's Pilsener!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidghost

Reaction score
pilsenerglass.jpg

Well, I added too much Saaz hops and it turned out a bit too spicy. But other than that, it taste quite nice. I was hoping for an even lighter colour but it seems that I will never get that in a extract/kit brew.

Thanks guys!
Is there anyway to make it lighter in colour if using only extract? Or do I have to go all-grain to achieve that.

I did use the late malt extract addition method to do my hops. Next time, I think I will reduce the amount of hops. I had wanted to get a lot of flavours in this brew so I did in fact add about 15g of Saaz hops into it.

Try using the freshest extract you can find if using liquid or use DME. Extracts darken as they age so using more recently produced extracts lend themselves to a lighter colored beer. While DME will darken over time, the drying process slows this reaction and makes them much more color stable than liquid.

Thanks eddie. Will do that for my next batch. Sometimes looks also mean a lot when we are drinking with friends who aren't into brewing.

Back