Cooper's Lager High ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knickspree

Reaction score
This is my first official brew, so I got Coopers DIY Kit, and it comes with the lager. Well, I measured my Original Gravity (OG) and it was at 1.052, then I did my Final Gravity (FG) measurement two weeks later and it was 1.010. So if you do the math on it, 1052 - 1013 = 39 divided by 7.46 = 5.2, plus you add secondary fermentation in the carbonated bottles .5%, and my lager is 5.7%......?

I've been drinking beer for a while and know this is much higher for a lager, and have heard this beer should be around 4.4%. What would cause this to be so high?

I also noticed that my Irish Stout I just started says only use 300 g of the special sugar they give you, while my lager instructed me to use the full 1kg of special sugar, could that be why its so high?

Your ABV does sound high for what you have brewed. I brewed the Coopers lager by the book and came out below 5%.

Is it possible that you misread your hydrometer? Did you add the correct amount of water? Those are my two immediate ideas for this, as nothing within the provided kit should give you an ABV of 5.7%.

As for the difference in ABV depending on the amount sugars, you hit the nail on the head in a way. Fermentables in every form will make a difference in the ABV. Some sugars are not fermentable (the yeast cannot consume them) and simply add to the body and sweetness of a brew. I hope this helps.

That's high. This was my first as well and checked my log. 1034 and finished at 1007 at 3 weeks. Did you brew 6 gallons or 5? The kit calls for 5 uk gallons, which turns out to be 6 us gallons or 23 liters.

Back