Coopers kit extracts and secondaries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odh2507

Reaction score
So with money being tight and researching for two months now. Ive looked into one stage kits. And i would like someone to confirm what im saying, to make sure im right. Extract brew kits just like the coopers kits do not require a secondary and can be bottled after reaching final gravity in primary. And also, i dont need to get 5 gallons of water to a certain temp but only one or two gallons, add extract, and cool down by using cold wat? And pitching yeast then. Does this all sound right?

Yes.

Except, wait longer before bottling. You'll probably reach FG within 5-7 days but the beer will clean up alot if you leave it alone for 2-3 weeks minimum before bottling.

Perfect.

I was in the understanding that once it reaches gravity and stays there for 2 days its good to go. I assume that 'aging' would bring out more flavor?

You can bottle and drink it once its at FG but leaving it in the primary longer will give the yeast time to clean up and take care of off-flavors.

I give my beers 3 weeks MINIMUM (assuming its a low-medium gravity beer, longer for higher-grav brews) before bottling and kegging.

By John Palmers book "how to brew" don't follow the directions that come with any kit like Coopers. The kit is decent but I made the mistake of following their instructions... Yikes. Most important thing is to have fun.

I have read that all extract kits seem to come with a generic set of instructions, but if i let it sit in the fermenter for another week after hitting gravity and then leaving it in a bottle for a bit to age them, wouldnt that take care of it, difi just follow the generic instructions?

Back