Coopers IPA cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SippinSudz

Reaction score
Hey all. 8 brews in.

21 days in primary.

Coopers IPA
1000g DME
300g Dextrose
OG 1.052
Topped up to 20L

On day 21 here, I took a sample for a reading of 1.010. My fermenter, soon to be bottling bucket, has a spigot that I installed on the bottle, a good 2" from where the trub sits. I took a sample from the spigot for hydrometer, always starsan blast the inside after, will be stopping this for next brew yadda yadda

Anyways... The sample is quite cloudy. I let it sit for 60m on the counter after and still cloudy.

I didn't dry hop, I didn't move the bucket.
Wonder if just pouring the spigot lifted some trub.. Hasn't happened before tho.
Also... This is my first IPA. Wow it's got some bitterness! Love it so far.

I had that happen with my kottbusser after 5 weeks and a couple days. By the time I started racking to the bottling bucket, I saw some plugs coming out of the tap in spurts before it flowed normally. By the time I bottled it all, it was only very slightly misty. Cleared up after a couple days in the bottles.
When I'd taken an FG sample a few days prior, it was cloudy. Not so a few days later when the plugged spigot cleared out. First time I ever had that happen.

24 hours later, I took another sample. Appeared to have cleared up much better, but no where near expected.

I wanted to bottle soon, Gravity has remained at 1.010. Will see if remains the same in a couple more days.

Clearing in the bottle is fine for me, but I would prefer least amount of settling in the bottles

Yeah, me too. That's why I let it settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. Clears faster with less dregs in the bottles.

Back