Coopers Hefe Wheat Kit - Dry Wheat Malt/Dextrose Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbeh

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have one beginners kit under my belt with a Coopers APA which is currently in bottles. I am on to the Coopers Hefe Wheat beer but my brew shop didn't have Dry Wheat Malt like the Recipe called for. They gave me 500G of Wheat Malt in grains. I have three questions:

I want to confirm that I am to heat up 1.5G of water to ~160F, turn of the burner and steep the grains for 20 min?

Two, how much dextrose should I add (I am making 23L or should I be making less with the can)?

Finally, after a steep and add the sugar and Coopers can, do I boil for 1 hour and then top up with water in the ferm and cool?

This is my first "cook" so I just want to clear everything up.

Thanks a lot!
Robb

Dry wheat malt would be as if mashed. You can steep the Wheat Malt grain, but it will not extract the same amount of fermentable sugars.

I found this recipe: http://www.whitelabs.com/recipes/hefeweizen/coopers-wheat-beer

I usually steep from hot to 170 degrees or 20 minutes. The time and temperature usually meet at about the same time.

I would pitch the yeast and ferment at about 65 degrees though.

I am assuming the can of Coopers Wheat Beer extract is pre-hopped.

Guessing a little because I have never used a pre-hopped malt extract and never will. To me that is too much like opening a can of soup and heating it up.

I'm reading this as .5kg malted wheat grain was substituted for dry malt extract (DME). Hopefully they gave you enough grains to compensate for the DME.

No problems, though.
If crushed properly, the steeped wheat grains should convert themselves well enough after 20-30 mins. If your Coopers extract is pre-hopped - it usually is - then all you have to do is mix your extract in with the steeped grain liquid, cool to room temperature, and pitch the yeast once you "top off".

All grain brewers will sometimes boil for 60mins or more for reasons an extract brewer won't. Getting a "hot break", sanitizing, or extra hopping isn't something you truly need to do with simpler extract recipes. Boiling your extract will tend to darken your finished beer.
If you're using WLP320 as the yeast, I recommend it. Not much clove or banana flavor, it's very mild and if fermented at 60-65F, it yields an excellent wheat beer. Carbonation drops should be one per 12oz bottle, two per 22oz bottle. You can substitute Domino's sugar cubes (Dots) at cheaper price.
The yeast doesn't care if it's glucose tabs or sucrose, the beer will carbonate just fine. There may be some difference in the size of bubbles and foam, but that's preference, anyway.

I have never used a pre-hopped malt extract and never will. To me that is too much like opening a can of soup and heating it up.

I hear ya! I am working my way up to making my own mash. Wanted to get a feel for everything. It's exactly how I feel but I am ok with that for now.

Regarding everything else, that all sounds spot on. It's calling for .5lbs of DEX which is a little less than 300g but DME instead of steeped grains.

I'm reading this as .5kg malted wheat grain was substituted for dry malt extract (DME). Hopefully they gave you enough grains to compensate for the DME.

I think .5kg Wheat Malt Grains and .3kg of DEX is the substitute for 1kg of DME. Does that sound about right. The above recipe sounds similar in volumes.

Great tip on the yeast, I might have to try that out and wait to get some delivered. Not a huge fan of banana.

Now the question that has been bugging me, I hear 5 gallons everywhere....but when I put 23L in it seemed to be a lot. Are people talking about US gallons?

Thanks for both your responses, they have helped a lot.

Now the question that has been bugging me, I hear 5 gallons everywhere....but when I put 23L in it seemed to be a lot. Are people talking about US gallons?

Thanks for both your responses, they have helped a lot.

Yes, US gallons. The majority of posters on this site are in the US.

5 US gallons = 18.93 liters.

Back