Coopers Fermentation System-A Good Thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heinrich

Reaction score
I just found an interesting U tube video featuring the Cooper system that they sell as a kit. I notice several things about this that are surprising. For one, the primary fermenter isn't tightly sealed, so no fermentation lock is used. And the thing that I really wonder about is that it appears racking into bottles is done directly from the primary...no siphoning into another bucket. They've got the spigot a bit higher on the side of the fermenter which I assume is well above the yeast layer. So, what's the deal...is this a labor saving advancement? Seems like the wort is handled less and it's easier all around.

Idk about that new DIY fermenter,I don't like/not sure I trust that slide together FV. But I like how the spigot pushes in,& comes apart for easy cleaning. And since cooper's uses their carbonation drops,no secondary is needed. The 25oz PET bottles are great,& easy to use. And the OS Lager kit is a good,malt forward base to make other styles with.

As the beginner I am, I'm happy with extract brewing for the time being. It looks to me like Coopers has given some thought to making things easier and I was just wondering if folks on the forum had strong opinions about this setup one way or the other. As far as extracts go, they seem to have some variety and now, as you suggest, I'm thinking about how to add other ingredients as a next step. I do like the idea of a fermenter that you can rack directly out of, and the PET bottles would be a nice solution for bottling since I've now got all my glass tied up. Just wondering about the fact that the fermenter isn't airtight. Maybe that doesn't really matter since it is covered well.

I have a Coopers fermenter bucket and I have a set up from northern brew co. I do like the coopers, but out of the last 4 brews that I have done I have used my one from northern brew. the coopers has a hole in the lid for your blow off tube. like all the others. I will be using my coopers when I brew my sweet stout, just because I will be letting it sit longer before I put it to my secondary for about 3 mo. before I bottle it. coopers is great because of the spout that is on it and yes it saves time not having to put it in another bucket, but the only thing is that when you use the coopers to bottle and use the their carbon drops that they sell. On the 2 times I did it the carbon levels in the bottles where different in every one, that I didn't like. So yes it is nice but there are cons to it also. That is my 2cents worth hope it helps.

CO2 is heavier than O2 so there will always be a layer of CO2 in the fermenter. The lid lays perfectly on top. Nothing will be able to get in. Many breweries still practice open fermentation. This is closed fermentation. If you wanted to try an experiement, you could even just keep the lid off and see how the brew turns out. I have talked to several homebrewers who just use plastic wrap to cover their fermenter.

CO2 is heavier than O2 so there will always be a layer of CO2 in the fermenter. The lid lays perfectly on top. Nothing will be able to get in. Many breweries still practice open fermentation. This is closed fermentation. If you wanted to try an experiement, you could even just keep the lid off and see how the brew turns out. I have talked to several homebrewers who just use plastic wrap to cover their fermenter.

That bit with the plastic wrap is popular with the Aussie's on the cooper's forum. You take the seal out of the lid,& use it to hold the plastic wrap in place. And my PET bottles didn't show that much difference in carbonation from bottle to bottle. But the new "DIY" FV is supposed to work well,from what I see on the cooper's forum. And,yeah,since the co2 forms a blanket over the brew,& the krausen collar (middle part) slides inside for several inches,I guess it'd be ok.
I cut the end off the old cooper's "S" type airlock to fit my 3/8" blow off tube into the airlock grommet. I saved a 1/2G vodka jug to use filled 1/3 of the way with water,tube inserted. Makes a great blow off.

That bit with the plastic wrap is popular with the Aussie's on the cooper's forum. You take the seal out of the lid,& use it to hold the plastic wrap in place. And my PET bottles didn't show that much difference in carbonation from bottle to bottle. But the new "DIY" FV is supposed to work well,from what I see on the cooper's forum. And,yeah,since the co2 forms a blanket over the brew,& the krausen collar (middle part) slides inside for several inches,I guess it'd be ok.
I cut the end off the old cooper's "S" type airlock to fit my 3/8" blow off tube into the airlock grommet. I saved a 1/2G vodka jug to use filled 1/3 of the way with water,tube inserted. Makes a great blow off.

If you're using the old fermenter and you need a blow off, you must be making some big brews. I only had couple blow through the airlock. No big deal. Just a little cleanup. The new fermenter has a lot more headspace because of the krausen collar. I'll have to try and make a big brew with it and see if I can make the krausen collar rise.

Back