Coopers Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyRaygun

Reaction score
I told my home brew store today that I wanted to brew a beer that would be ready to drink in about three weeks and that I'm force carbonating my brew.

He said I would need an ale yeast and that really any Coopers extract kit would be fine and he sold me a European Lager with some Munstons dry malt.

He said even though I bought the European Lager extract, that it doesn't matter.

So I got thinking. If the yeast in the extract kit is a lager, than how is it possible for the brew to be ready in three weeks?

Is it because I'm force carbonating the brew thus reducing the time typically needed for the yeast to eat the sugars and therefore carbonate the beer?

No.. because the yeast is an ale yeast.. I think. Many of the Coopers kits have an ale yeast. Three weeks would be good. You can write Coopers in Aust to verify.. they are very prompt at return email. Assuming it is an ale yeast.. try to hold your brewing temp to about 18*C. NOT at the high end of the range.. rather the low end.

Ok. That makes sense if the yeast is an ale. But if I recall from reading the instructions in the extract kit, it mentioned the yeast is a lager yeast. I'll have to read it again but it's good to know Coopers responds timely.

Thanks!

Disclaimer: I haven't brewed the European Lager.. Just the Original Series Lager.. and it came with an ale yeast. Maybe others tomorrow will chime in.. like unionrdr. He's done a bunch of Coopers. But, I'd write to Coopers.. HERE It's a neat website to peruse. There is also a forum there for mostly their products. I'm sure that they would be a great resource for asking about the Coops kits and modifications to improve them.

It is lager yeast.
The yeast supplied with Coopers European Lager is a true lager yeast strain. Lager yeast behaves differently to the normal Coopers Yeast. Preferred brewing temperature is at the low end of the recommended range (ie. 21°C or 70°F). Coopers European yeast can ferment as low as 13°C or 55°F. Lower ferment temperatures extend the fermentation period. Make sure fermentation has completed before bottling. It is common for lager yeast to produce a smell like eggs when fermenting, this should dissipate as the beer conditions in the bottle. Allow Coopers European lager at least 12 weeks in the bottle before consuming.

i brew coopers beer all the time.. they go for about 15 dollar so i am sneeky about this i go thru the store stock and look for expired cans.. i then go the manager and tell him ill take it if he will discount it for me i can usually work them down to about 6 dollar a can..as long as its not leaking ill take it... i even use the yeast that came with it. i got a can for 2.50 for being 2 yeast expired and yeast is just fine

Joppo said:
It is lager yeast.

Ok. I thought so after reading the instructions. So than why did the home brew store sell me a lager yeast when he knew I wanted to drink my brew in about three weeks?

Anyway, I don't think I will ever go back to that store again.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah,the euro lager & Thomas Cooper's select are both lager yeasts. Stick to the OS series with some hops if you want an ale in the keg in 3-4 weeks.

I think they would,as long as the can & false lid are still intact,& you have your receipt. But as I said the OS (our abrieviation for Original Series) are all ales. You could try the OS Draught (pronounced draft),or maybe the English bitter (international series). Some even like the cooper's IPA,but it is the English style. The dark ale is good with 3lbs plain amber DME & 2oz of English hops. Almost a dark cream ale sort of thing. Very light roasty quality.

Ok. So, considering I will be force carbonating, and combining the euro lager extract with some dry malt extract, what's the worst that could happen if I drink in three weeks?

I understand I have a larger yeast, but I'm trying to salvage what I bought so I can at least get a brew going.

I called my home brew store. According to them, Coopers lager yeast is somewhat of a universal yeast. Although most kits do contain ale yeast, essentially, I can use the Coopers lager yeast to create an ale like brew.

Really all I need to do is ferment it at room temperature and I should be good to go. According to the Home Brew guy, he had done this many times and it's turned out great.

I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Im brewing a mash extract using the Coopers Euro Lager. On the can it says to bottle for 12 weeks. Its turning out amazing. Already nice and clear with huge bubbles clinging to the inside of the hydrometer. Im about to bottle this on the weekend. It's not a quick brew by any means. I am brewing mine (46L) for the NHL Playoffs in April... lol.
It needs to be fermented at a cooler temp. I am at 12C. I used Hallertauer hops, vienna and pale malt mini mash on top of this. You will like this. I would head back out for another fermenter and just get a quick Ale goin'.

I can't believe you asked for a quick brew and they sold you a freakin Lager.

G

I just brewed up the Cooper's European Lager and it came with an ale yeast (Cooper's pure brewers yeast 7gram packet) as I don't have the setup for temperatures in the 50-55 range. On another note, what color should this European Lager be? I was expecting a golden color but it looks more soft brown ale looking. As long as it tastes great (which I know it will) I just hope it tastes like a lager more so than an ale...any ideas? TIA

Back