Coopers English Bitter - 0.011 - Is it ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyP

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I started my Coopers English Bitter (my first ever brew) 7 days ago and all the bubbling and foam subsided days ago. Yesterday and today I have been stuck at 0.011 on the hydrometer - does this mean it's ready?

I just thought that 0.011 was a little high on the readings to bottle but it hasn't budged from that ready since yesterday.

Thanks for the help in advance,

JimmyP

I assume you mean 1.011
It may have reached its gravity but ales usually need around 14 days for the yeast to finish cleaning up and everything to settle out. Someone who knows more about the style then me may have some better info in that regard.

Yeah sorry I meant 1.011, the Coopers instructions said take gravity readings every day after day 6 and when it reaches the same reading for 2 days straight it's ready. I just thought 1.011 was a little high.

I guess there is no harm in leaving it for a few more days.

JimmyP said:
Yeah sorry I meant 1.011, the Coopers instructions said take gravity readings every day after day 6 and when it reaches the same reading for 2 days straight it's ready. I just thought 1.011 was a little high.

I guess there is no harm in leaving it for a few more days.

Don't always follow the instructions when it comes to fermentation times. The kit companies want you to bottle your beer ASAP without regard to the actual quality of your beer. The faster you bottle, the faster you buy another one of their products. Wait 3 weeks minimum IMO, I wait 4 regardless of recipe for ales.

BlindFaith is right. A stable hydro reading means you are unlikely to make bottle bombs, but leaving it in the primary fermentor for three weeks will not only not harm your beer, but also give the yeast more time to, in a nutshell, impart a better flavor to the beer.

(Edit) And welcome to homebrewing! It's a fantastic obsession to be associated with.

Ok then I'll give it 2-3 weeks at least, I really am impatient though!

I started a dry hop on like day 3 with some pellets, should I now do another towards bottle day since I'm leaving it a lot longer than I first anticipated.

Oh also should I be keeping it between 21-27 degrees celsius for the whole duration of 2-3 weeks in the fermentor, or is that just for the initial 3-6 days for the yeast to do it's main job?

It's sitting at 25-26c right now.

JimmyP said:
Oh also should I be keeping it between 21-27 degrees celsius for the whole duration of 2-3 weeks in the fermentor, or is that just for the initial 3-6 days for the yeast to do it's main job?

It's sitting at 25-26c right now.

What yeast are you using?
That fermentation temp is a little on the high side IMO.
Most English ale yeasts are best between say 19-23c. The higher your fermentation temps the more fruity (ester) flavour you'll have in the end product. The first 3-5 days are the most important for maintaining your fermentation temps though I tend to ferment at my desired temp for around 9 days then raise the temp by 2-3c for another few days to help work off any off flavours.
I rarely ferment longer than 2 weeks, though having said this, if you haven't pitched enough yeast you often get a slower fermentation which is a bit more stressful on the yeast, thus needing more time to clean up.

Can you give more info on your yeast, mash temp and how you are controlling your temps?

On the topic of dry hopping, only do so in the last 5 days in the primary fermenter once you're happy the FG has been achieved.
Most kit

He brewed the Cooper's English Bitter can/kit. I love that one with pit bbq! Usually,when the rapid bubbling slows or stops,only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to a stable FG. But getting down to 1.011 in 7 days is pretty darn good. Normally,Cooper's is best at 18-20C (64.4-68F) ferment temp. The temps you fermented at were a bit high,& the yeast will produce more fruity esters. You'll also get some fusel alcohols,maybe even some diacytle. So give it at least till 2 weeks to clean up these by products of fermentation. Usually takes a week in my experience. If the beer tastes good at that point,& it's settle out clear,you're ready to bottle. Ime,Cooper's settles out pretty clear most of the time. Cooper's ale yeast is high flocculation as well,so this part is fairly constant. I've used US-05 & WL029 kolsh yeast with cooper's cans & had them drop out clear.

Yeah I thought it was a little high, at the start of the fermentation 3-4 days my heat belt hadn't arrived so I was just using a radiator and the temperature was more around the 21-23 mark. Since the belt has arrived I have been putting it at the highest part of the fermentation vessel where the beer is and it sits at around 26c so I'm not sure how I can keep it any cooler than that - unless I sit the belt above where the beer sits and just on the plastic bit of the vessel but I don't think that's a good idea right?

Now that you mention the fruit I must admit there is a fruity'ish flavor which I can't quite put my finger on, it isn't unpleasant and I assumed it was the fruity type hops I used. Citra and Cascade.

I guess I'll just take the heat belt off and let it sit at room temperature now?

Thanks for the help guys.

Bitters are generally supposed to have some ester flavor, so don't sweat it. You could always try it alongside Fuller's London Pride, Old Speckled Hen, Bass, or another example of am English Pale Ale.

I've tasted the brew and it seems pleasant to be honest so I'm happy. I usually go for drinks around 5-5.5% and this is going to turn out at around 4.2% I think which isn't too bad but I would have liked 5% but the beer enhancer I used goes to 4.5% max I think.

Oh well I have an IPA lined up next and I have all the ingredients for the Coopers Authentic IPA, plus a load of cascade/citra pellets left as I purchased 100g's of each. I think I'll maybe reduce the sugar slightly in the Authentic IPA recipe though as I'd rather it be maybe 5.5% max rather than over 6% or whatever it will reach.

Back