Coopers DIY Kit Issues ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstack10

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First time poster and brewer.

I recently purchased a Coopers Canadian blonde DIY Kit with Brew Enhancer 2.

I have done my FG readings and it has now settled at 1.008

I have been doing the fermentation at 22 Deg (Instructions state between 21 & 27) controlled by a stc1000

When I sample the beer it is very cloudy and has a very poor taste almost like acidic really.

i have attached some photos to show the wort

does anyone have experience with these kits is this normal after primary fermentation only ?

Attachments

• PXL_20220518_100203817.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220518_100203817.MP.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220513_111001613.jpg
    PXL_20220513_111001613.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I'm new to homebrew myself and my first batch was a cooper draught kit but used DME and some Dextrose instead of the enhancer. And it turned out pretty ok, nothing to wrote home about but better than o taught.

I let it sit on the fermentation vessel for 3 weeks before bottling, and another 2 on the bottles before starting to drink it. Maybe yours is just too green, how long is it sitting on the FV?

I think it needs a couple of weeks sitting on the FV after fermentation have stopped to mellow itself out and clear.

But I'm sure more knowledge people will give their inputs aswell.

How long has it been in the ferment vessel?

There are different kinds of ways to deal with cloudy beer in the fermenter. I just let it sit in the FV till it clears up and everything goes to the bottom. I've gone as long as six week in the FV. My worst beers have always been beers that spent the least time in the FV even though they show as being finished fermenting the first week.

Depending on your yeast and how well it flocculates and maybe the beer type and recipe, some amount of cloudiness is okay when you bottle. It'll wind up as sediment on the bottom of your bottles and your beer will be clean.

Others will be along with other ways to deal with cloudy beer.

Taste you can never quite be sure of until it's carbonated.

Cheers guys thanks for the advice

It has been fermeting about 9 days now so far

I bottled one bottle so I will try that in two weeks and see how that fairs out.

Might aswell tough it out so to speak

Cheers guys thanks for the advice

It has been fermeting about 9 days now so far

I bottled one bottle so I will try that in two weeks and see how that fairs out.

Might aswell tough it out so to speak
Nine days is a bit early to bottle IMHO but maybe with extract it is OK. We’re you sure fermentation was done? Did you take a hydrometer reading and subsequent ones to be sure it was finished?

Yeah I let mine sit for another 2 weeks after fermentation ended. Give it a bit more time and see if it help.

Let us know how it went.

Ya will do lads its two weeks today so will leave for another 2 and report back

Never done a Cooper's kit, but I will parrot everyone else with give it some time. When I first started brewing, I couldn't wait to get my beer into the bottles, and to drink it after only a week or so in the bottle. Once I learned to calm down a little and give it some time, my beers got much better. I now give them a month in the FV and 3 weeks to a month of bottle conditioning.....sometimes longer depending on how much I have (I try to keep 3 five gallon batches in bottles at all times.

YMMV
Lon

Well minor update.

So when I wrote this post originally two weeks ago I decided to bottle one beer.

That beer has been conditioning for the last two weeks and was drank last night.

Big difference after the carbonation so happy with that.

Not the best beer in the world but certainly drinkable.

So the rest of the batch will be bottled on Friday giving it 4 weeks in the fermenter in total.

Will update in a few weeks on how the batch goes

Back