Coopers Black & Tan recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crewusa1

Reaction score
I'm about to start my second batch of homebrew, so I'm still pretty new to the game and haven't gotten off Coopers kits yet. However, I wanted to mix it up a little bit from just a regular ale or lager, so I found the following recipe for making a Black & Tan beer:

BLACK DOG
This is a blend of 2 beer kits to make a brewed black and tan.
It is malty and dark with plenty of bite.
Half a can of Coopers Stout and half a can of Coopers Lager
500g Light Dry Malt Extract
500g Glucose or Dextrose
Brewing Method:#1

My question is since I've got a full can of Irish Stout and a full can of European Lager anyway, will it improve my beer to use the full can of each, the full can of lager and half can of stout, the half can of lager and the full can of stout, or just keep the recipe as is? I saw a video on youtube where a guy recommended doubling your malt extract (while keeping sugar levels the same) as a way to increase/improve taste. Thoughts?

You will get a better beer if you use less or no dextrose, so in effect you need to replace that dextrose or glucose with malt extract. I have never used those kits so I'm no expert but you will want to replace the sugar with the representative amount of extract to get the same original gravity. Maybe someone else will chime in to help out. Also have you considered brewing both of those styles separately and just making black and tans with the finished beer? You wont get the separation effect if you brew them together you'll almost get more of a porter ish beer. By the way welcome to the board!

If you use all of both cans then leave this part out

500g Light Dry Malt Extract
500g Glucose or Dextrose

Otherwise the beer is going to be too big. But that might be what you want.

Might as well just do like farmbrewernw suggested and brew the beers seperately and pour your black and tans when you want one.

I'd brew the Lager with the DME and Dextrose you already have, and then get yourself another kilo of DME to brew the stout.

Back