Coopers Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowbeast

Reaction score
Today I brewed a Coopers Real Ale.

1 can Coopers Real Ale
250g Brewing Sugar
1KG Brew Enhancer
500g LDME
20g Centinneal Hops (10g for 30mins and 10g for 5mins)
Topped up to 19l and added kit yeast.
I suspect my hydrometer is out as my last two brews have readings of 1050.
I had a sip out of the test sample and man did it taste good, bitter but the hops really comes through with a fruity fresh flavour.

Hello Snowbeast

Long time (8 Years?) since I did Coopers Real Ale, but from memory it was pre-hopped, and designed for a volume of 23 litres with the addition of 1 kilogram of dextrose.

You have added 1.75kg of fermentables, and reduced the volume to 19 litres? I would anticipate a considerable increase in ABV, and also sweetness. With the latter, it will be interesting to observe how the boiling of a pre-hopped kit, combined with the addition of hops for, I presume, flavour and aroma, will affect the final sweetness versus bitterness.

Today I brewed a Coopers Real Ale.

1 can Coopers Real Ale
250g Brewing Sugar
1KG Brew Enhancer
500g LDME
20g Centinneal Hops (10g for 30mins and 10g for 5mins)
Topped up to 19l and added kit yeast.
I suspect my hydrometer is out as my last two brews have readings of 1050.
I had a sip out of the test sample and man did it taste good, bitter but the hops really comes through with a fruity fresh flavour.

Looked up Coopers Real Ale since I had recently made a True Brew Amber Ale. The TB came with pre-hopped LME. Found the info on Coopers site that the pre-hopped LME should not be boiled. Boiling will raise the bitternes level. Why couldn't TB have that info on their site? Used all of Coopers instructions for the recipe. Much better than generic TB recipe.
Coopers Real Ale for over here is 5 gallons. Coopers Australian Real Ale for down under is 6 gallons. Drier climate requires more beer?

Thanks for the input guys.
I did stray a bit as I find kits like mixing juice in a sterile environment.
Explains why my last IPA was pretty bitter.
I will be doing some extract and partial grain in the next three weeks. Just waiting for ingredients and a bigger pot.

Looked up Coopers Real Ale since I had recently made a True Brew Amber Ale. The TB came with pre-hopped LME. Found the info on Coopers site that the pre-hopped LME should not be boiled. Boiling will raise the bitternes level. Why couldn't TB have that info on their site? Used all of Coopers instructions for the recipe. Much better than generic TB recipe.
Coopers Real Ale for over here is 5 gallons. Coopers Australian Real Ale for down under is 6 gallons. Drier climate requires more beer?

Nope. Wrong. 23L equals 6.072 USG,not imperial gallons. I use the formula L X .264 = gallons from sciencemadesimple.com/metric_conversions. 19L equals 5.016 USG.

Nope. Wrong. 23L equals 6.072 USG,not imperial gallons. I use the formula L X .264 = gallons from sciencemadesimple.com/metric_conversions. 19L equals 5.016 USG.

My desktop coonversion calculator shows 5.019269 gallons(US) for 19 liters. 4.179414 gallons(UK). My calculator did not have gallons(AU).

Actually the 5 and 6 gallons were just from Coopers labeling description.

Coopers Real Ale LME is sold in 3.75 pound and 4.0 pound cans. Labeling on either of the cans can be Real Ale or Australian Real Ale.

Hmm...Cooper's is commonly designed for 6G. although many cut it to 5 to get more body & abv. Your converter's calculation must be a hair different. They shouldn't be off by that much.

flars said:
My desktop coonversion calculator shows 5.019269 gallons(US) for 19 liters. 4.179414 gallons(UK). My calculator did not have gallons(AU).

I thought Australia used Imperial measurement when it comes to gallons? Hence 23 litres being roughly 5 Imperial gallons, which is 40 Imperial pints?

Coopers Real Ale LME is sold in 3.75 pound and 4.0 pound cans. Labeling on either of the cans can be Real Ale or Australian Real Ale.
The one gallon difference in Coopers labeling.

I thought Australia used Imperial measurement when it comes to gallons? Hence 23 litres being roughly 5 Imperial gallons, which is 40 Imperial pints?

We used to Professor. Went metric many moons ago, and a good move too. Beats me why you guys haven't. After all, you have a metric currency system.

pacman said:
We used to Professor. Went metric many moons ago, and a good move too. Beats me why you guys haven't. After all, you have a metric currency system.

We mostly are metric, except for us using miles for distance and pints for draught beers. Everything else tends to be measured in metric.

Back